It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:03 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Tojiro DP 155mm Deba with Water Camo handle
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:46 pm 

Yeah, they certainly aren't the BFT's from Morehead, NC. But I love the fishing we have in Jersey.....from April till December you can have at it inshore and offshore. Over the last 5 years we've had a couple of seasons where most of the fish were consistently between 60-70" with some bigger, but not so far this year. We will take whatever we can get since its nowhere near as predictable as the Fall and Spring Striper run. Do you still build rods? Jigging rods or everything?

Good luck whenever you get out again!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I build rods, but it's been slow thing year and last year. 2010, I sold 43 rods, 2011 I sold 26, this year so far I have sold 6 gaffs and 6 rods only. Oh well, I have more time to focus on the knives! Most of my rods are Offshore rods (jigging, popping, trolling, etc) but I also do freshwater Bass rods, UL trout rods, some fly rods and a couple of surf rods.

Yeah, it's a nice shot out from NJ to the closer canyons for when the YFT show up. The smaller BFT are more fun to catch and don't beat you up as much as the big guys do!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:29 am 
Forum Moderator

Fujiwara FKM 150mm Petty with Water Wave Camo, which is cut from the side of the Water Camo Block:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:27 am 
Site Admin

How smooth are the handles? Do they compare to the silky smooth finish you get on the wood ones?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:07 am 
Forum Moderator

Not quite as smooth. I did take one of my earlier camo attempts up to the 12000 grit in Micro Mesh, but with the variation in the materials, it brought out the individual textures and didn't really polish up. The various fabrics and epoxy mix all sand at different rates, so it's hard to get as smooth of a finish on the laminates. I take these to a 320-400 grit finish or so and then rub in a couple of coats of Tru Oil. They get smooth, but not as silky as the wood handles.

Next experiment is going to be using all Flannel fabrics for the handle. With the yarn in the mix in the past, it got very smooth texture wise; it doesn't really show the grain/texture like the denim does. I am hoping the flannel does the same thing and I am hoping I can take it to a higher grit level finish wise.

I did a big 3" wide, ~2.5" tall, 6" long block today of the Water Camo. Gonna make a 1.5x1.5x5 block out of it for a customer and use the rest on some other knives. May do the Artifex Wa style with it to match with the stainless Deba. I used almost 40oz of epoxy to make up the big block though and I am almost out of epoxy again!

I have a stack up of a cream colored linen and royal blue burlap that will be layered up as 1 layer linen and 2 layers of burlap alternating that could be pretty interesting. Also, with the same cream colored linen, I am going to lay individual strands of burlap between each layer of the linen; trying to get streaking/veining like in the mammoth ivory. I was going to use orange burlap, but I may go with a blue/green mixture instead.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2