It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: to force or not to force
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

My Artifex 52100 210 Gyuto is not terribly reactive. I did force a mustard patina on it just to try out the technique. I would rate it average on reactivity, compared to my other carbon knives.

I'd recommend just using the knife and let a patina develop. If you really don't like it, you can scrub it off and force a patina with a pattern if you like. BTW, coating both sides of the blade with heavily mashed up banana creates and interested patina as well. Let it sit for a good 30 minutes, then wash and dry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:09 pm 

It isn't very reactive. Why I got impatient ;) In the BDL made me do it thread I have some picture before and after mustard patina. The before shot was from 4 nights at work plus a couple night at home. Usually get a more colorful one after that many shifts at work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:15 pm 

I forced a few patinas on my elite carbon petty. I scrubbed them all off, lol. The knife has its own now, rather blue. I scrub all my carbon knives off completely every couple weeks. One time it got a black one from peeling about 30 pounds of tomato concasse. That poor little guy was practically smoking that day!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2