It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 7 of 10 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Goko Hammered Damascus 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

Collecting Rocks is fun :) LOL, I have 13 Japanese Natural stones, not counting the ones coarser than Aoto and not counting synthetic stones.

Stones have the advantage of being harder and having abrasive freshly exposed and then being able to work the mud and further break down the abrasive for a finer edge. Strops will cut well at first, and then "load up" a bit; also, they are less aggressive because they are pushed into the softer backing (leather, felt, balsa), so you aren't getting the full abrasive power from them. They work well for polishing an edge, especially if you need to shave, but in the kitchen, most find a toothier edge lasts longer and slices better due to the tooth left behind that stropping can smooth out more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:59 pm 

dougmc wrote:Another thanks Taz

I never have understood the advantages and disadvantages of stones versus strops, especially in the range where they overlap. Well explained.

Yep agreed. Didn't understand that before either. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:33 pm 

coachnj and Taz, stole your idea on sanding the Goko handle last night. Big improvement! Thanks for the inspiration.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:26 am 

mine has a small scorch on the heel tip. kind of a bronze color when the light hits it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:11 am 

Coming from the tojiro DP with smooth handle the ridges on the chestnut handle are nice, a more secure grip. The dark chestnut color is growing on me, the plastic ferrule not great but functional.

Mammoth: if you have metal polish try using that to rub out the scorch/bronzing. Mine was like that. It came off with a bit of rubbing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:31 pm 

taz575 wrote:Even when the pastes are reasonably priced, I don't feel you would get the precision of the stones. The Rika 5K plays better with a variety of steels (VG-10, AEB-L, M390, R2, Blue, White, Aogami Super, 52100, etc) and leaves a nicer edge than the Green Brick does.

I like my green brick before my rika. Its a good combo for most of my steels

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:34 am 

Had a chance to use it more since I got it. It definitely sharpens up sharper than my tojiro DP. I went back and sharpened the Tojiro using about the same angles, diamond plates, strops being extra careful to do it good and it still can't touch the 19c27 on the goko. Cutting paper the goko passes through smooth and effortlessly, the tojiro dp still feels a little coarse and drags a bit more and catches more often.

For comparison I sharpened another knife that I could get sharper than the tojiro and that still couldn't touch the goko.

Whatever doubts I had about 19c27 are history. Now thinking whether I should get the 210 damascus gyuto as well, bit redundant given I have a 210 tojiro DP already, but the 210 goko is taller at 46mm vis the tojiro's 44 mm which sounds trivial but the shorter height on the tojiro makes it feel like a long petty rather than a gyuto. I have another 180 santoku that is at 46 mm and that feels just right, so 2mm makes a diff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:50 pm 

rayong wrote:Had a chance to use it more since I got it. It definitely sharpens up sharper than my tojiro DP. I went back and sharpened the Tojiro using about the same angles, diamond plates, strops being extra careful to do it good and it still can't touch the 19c27 on the goko. Cutting paper the goko passes through smooth and effortlessly, the tojiro dp still feels a little coarse and drags a bit more and catches more often.

For comparison I sharpened another knife that I could get sharper than the tojiro and that still couldn't touch the goko.

Whatever doubts I had about 19c27 are history. Now thinking whether I should get the 210 damascus gyuto as well, bit redundant given I have a 210 tojiro DP already, but the 210 goko is taller at 46mm vis the tojiro's 44 mm which sounds trivial but the shorter height on the tojiro makes it feel like a long petty rather than a gyuto. I have another 180 santoku that is at 46 mm and that feels just right, so 2mm makes a diff.

That's because burr removal on V-10 is a PITA. You have to be extra attentive to the burr on VG-10. Me personally, if I could get the goko in VG-10 I might favor it more. The edge retention of 19C27 just isn't up to par for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:08 pm 

What is the difference between this and the other non hammered version? Same steel?

But in the photo the hammered goko seems to be a polished silver finish? Yet in the first post it seems like it has pretty much the same finish as the non hammered Goko Damascus?
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/goko.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:44 am 

brianch wrote:What is the difference between this and the other non hammered version? Same steel?

But in the photo the hammered goko seems to be a polished silver finish? Yet in the first post it seems like it has pretty much the same finish as the non hammered Goko Damascus?
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/goko.html

So basically the hammered version and non hammered version are the same knife. the non hammered is actually hammered but they ground the dimples out making it just a convex blade.

It's not mirror polish but it is quite shiny.

Page 7 of 10 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next