It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Cutting Boards?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:50 pm 

I have been researching for quite a while now, trying to find a decent cutting board for a decent price. I am tired of the pull out one underneath our counter.

Criteria:

1. No less than 1 1/2 inch thick.
2. Quality wood that I can keep up with mineral oil.
3. Roughly 20" x 15", not too specific but I am not looking for an 8x8 for sure.
4. Reputable seller that won't disappear if the item comes defective and I need to return.
5. Around $100 or less.

Thanks all!

Bread - Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife
Chef - Shun Premier 8" Chef Knife
Nakiri - Sakai Takayuki Damascus 160mm Nakiri
Petty - Konosuke HH Stainless 150mm Wa-Petty
Paring - Tojiro DP 90mm Paring Knife

Post subject: Re: Cutting Boards?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:06 am 
Forum Moderator

Boardsmith, may be a little over $100 (depends on wood and shipping), but worth it!! He has 14x20 as a standard size.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:34 am 

The BoardSMITH (www.theboardsmith.com) meets your first four criteria, but not your last one. A 16" x 22" maple end grain board will set you back $175.20, shipped within CONUS, a wee bit over the price you want to pay. But then, you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:36 am 

You will not find a well made board that size, that cheap, for a variety of reasons. Just consider what it costs in raw materials to make one--glue is negligible, but at roughly $9 a board foot for really good hardwood(just from my own experience shopping around), and with the MINIMUM dimensions you quoted, you are at $30 for the wood, not including what gets cut off(hint: a lot). You need a large planer, an giant sander, a jointer, a ton of clamps, a dust collection system, a tank full of mineral oil....we're talking THOUSANDS of dollars to regularly make lifetime-purchase-quality boards. Then there's the time it takes to make them, and the care it takes to make them well.

I paid under $200 for my Boardsmith Carolina Slab, including shipping, and I consider it a whopping value. There is absolutely no way I could make a thing like that without spending a great order of magnitude more money(No joke, I'd say like $4k if the equipment is rented), and it's got a man standing behind it as his product until the day he dies.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:38 am 

Boardsmith for the win. I will be purchasing one for home once I have kitchen that can fit one and the discretionary funds. I'm thinking the Cherry is the one I want.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:42 am 
Forum Moderator

Oops, 12x18 as a size, not 14x20. Hard Maple will run $115 shipped, which isn't too bad at all!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:24 am 
Forum Moderator

Just checked out this site for the first time. :shock: "Winner" it is! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:47 am 

Another strong vote for the boardsmith here. It is well worth the money spent. I have had my walnut board for about 7 months used all day every day and I can't figure out how I got by without it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:29 pm 

Loving all the responses but there has got to be other boards out there that you all have tried and liked. I looked into the Boardsmith boards, they are nice but on the spend side. I have heard a lot about boos boards, any word on those?

Lets say for now Boardsmith is crossed off the list, for sake of continuing a search (although I may end up going with one).

Also found this? http://www.totallyfurniture.com/catskill-1816.html

Bread - Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife
Chef - Shun Premier 8" Chef Knife
Nakiri - Sakai Takayuki Damascus 160mm Nakiri
Petty - Konosuke HH Stainless 150mm Wa-Petty
Paring - Tojiro DP 90mm Paring Knife

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Many people sell their Boos boards after getting a Boardsmith, it's that much better! I was looking for a board much like you describe, but decided to order up a Boardsmith. I did some research online and found that with many of the less expensive boards, the adhesive/glue they use tends to not hold up. The blocks sometimes come apart at the seams due to the glue. Also, there are a lot of issues with cheaper boards warping, mostly from negligence.

Many of the lesser cost Boos Boards are Edge Grain, not End Grain, which is what you want! The End Grain Boos Boards are more expensive than the Boardsmith.

I was looking at the Teak boards, but Teak has Silica in it, which is really bad for knife edges.

Page 1 of 5 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next