It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who's into pocket knives?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

It can be a nightmare. A lot of things have to be a 100% right. If you plan on making on, I'd be interested in the progress and maker.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:47 pm 

I love pocket knives. Just wish they were as easy to keep track of as kitchen knives...I have never lost a kitchen knife, but many a pocket knife has fallen prey to the seat crack in my car...never to be seen again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:51 am 

I hope Richmond Knives does not waste time and money on a folder. The field is crowded with quality knife makers, but nobody had made a Richmond Artifex paring knife.... For years my EDC has been a couple of Chris Reeve Umnumzaan folders, first in S30V, and now in S35VN. Fantastic knives, and I have never found them difficult to sharpen. For the last year I have also carried, in my Maxpedition man purse, a limited edition Benchmade McHenry Williams in M390 steel and it is an astonishingly good knife. I can't wait for Richmond Knives to start offering kitchen knives in M390! Hopefully, Mark will get us an Ultimatum in M390 before he wastes time and money on a folder.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:22 pm 

Agreed, there are a plethora of options for pocket knives.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, message received. I'll stick to kitchen knives. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

I agree with the others. There are plenty of affordable pocket knives out there with good steels already. A folder can be a pain to make, especially in limited amounts. If you want to make a folder for yourself, there are some decent kits out there. Jantz has a VG-10 core laminate (SS on the outside), and knifekits.com has some cool damascus blade/bolster kits, too.

I have a lot of pocket knives. Bunch of MicroTechs MA's, Benchmade Mini Rukus, Kershaw Leek, Scallion, Vapor, Volt 2, Nerve, Gerber Applegate Mini, CRKT M16. I usually carry a cheap knife at work so if it gets lots or something, I don't care. The Mini Rukus is my big knife, along with a MT Socom Elite. Usually EDC's are more utilitarian than tactical.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:30 pm 

Paramilitary 2 knocked everything else out of pocket.....perhaps for good :). Congrats on your new spyderco!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:16 pm 

I rock the SOG Twitch as my EDC. I prefer carrying knives that deploy quickly. Usually, I am getting my knife out to cut something at work, and I don't want to spend time fumbling around to get my knife out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

Got a load of the epically spyderco and a sog, but I have come across a sleeper that if the best knife for the money I have ever used and I would pay twice the price it's made by the Ontario knife company yes old hickory and it is called the randal rat 1 it's aus8 steel and as nice or even nice than a few of my spydercos, I posted some pics some months ago called I for a ratt in the house with teeth nobody responded so I figured no one was interested. I will buy this knife again if anything happens to it and this thing is built tight I mean tight and takes a super edge. Peace, jmbullman. Into fixed blades to a couple hen and roosters and a Japanese hunter which I love and their are pics on the forum too. Hope you enjoy but seriously if you overlook the rat you have missed the winner. I would compare it too a shun vs a wasabi, and I actually prefer the wasabi line over the shun. Jmbullman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

...mmmm.....some Rookie dampers.....

You aint experienced a good folder until you have it in a M390 blade.....yeah, crucify me with my M390 persistence........

I have had many floders, my latest being the Spydie Para Mil 2 in M390, Benchmade Barrage 581 & Bencmade Shoki also in M390.......

I dumped & gave away all my other folders.....

Some links:

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next