It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:36 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Help me choose a 3pc stone set.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:09 am 

Yeah I do still want the Snow White as the Suehiro Rika is a 5K but seems to act more like a 3K to me. I think the extra stone would help me get even better results. I'm doing well with the stones and getting a lot better at sharpening. I hope to pick up a straight razor and try my hand at that in the future as well. Good luck with the stones and have fun with it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:06 pm 

I went ahead and ordered the Green Brick and the Snow White yesterday. So I'll have both sets of stones soon. I'll compare them and see what works best together as soon as they arrive. I will also be ordering a high grit stone soon for sharpening straight razors.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:56 pm 

After the Snow White go for a natural to finish razors. Like this one http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nakayamakoppa.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:43 pm 

Jason, I'd planned on getting a natural stone eventually. I'm unsure what additional requirements a JNat will bring that a synthetic doesn't. Will the natural stone come prepped and ready to use with minimal lapping? How is care for them different?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:03 pm 

Daf,

The stones I've gotten here have been pretty flat and ready to go. That nakayama is a good razor stone. You'll need something to raise mud, it is a very hard stone. You can do this with a fine grit diamond plate, ideal is another small piece of natural stone. They require only a little water. That one looks on the thin side so you might consider mounting it to something. It isn't that you'll wear through the stone (you won't) but possibility it could crack. Probably not an absolute necessity though.

They take a little getting used to, but not much. And no bigger jump in shave quality to me than from synthetic to natural, at least from my experience.

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3