It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:26 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Stropping...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:50 am 

So I have but one stone right now, a King Combo 1000/6000. I've used it sparingly so far but gotten pretty good results with it on a few different knives.

But I figured the next step would be getting a strop setup and finishing with that.

I'd imagine I could use an in between grit stone as well? But I'd like to get a strop first.

Is that kit Mark sells with the base, the horse butt and the balsa with the .25 micron spray a good start and proper progression from my stone?

I am only an at home cook these days, will mainly be using this on a Artifex Wa Gyuto with the FKM steel, a Masamoto KS and probably a carbon nakiri and petty.

Post subject: Re: Stropping...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:38 am 

Little too fine. 0.25u = 60,000grit. So a 10x jump.

I would look at 1u CBN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:49 am 

Stones will take your further, I would buy more stones first.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:51 am 

Sadden wrote:Little too fine. 0.25u = 60,000grit. So a 10x jump.

I would look at 1u CBN

Well I was already thinking I have stuff to make a base anyway. A decent piece of metal about 8 x 3 I can screw some feet on, so then I'd just grab the 8x3 horse butt and balsa and a spray or paste, just the 1 micron instead of the .25 by your suggestion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:54 am 

Jason B. wrote:Stones will take your further, I would buy more stones first.

If I went this route what would you suggest?

Something intermediate between the 1 and 6K and then something super high grit for finishing, right?

This is also likely the more expensive route and that I can't do right now, but I'm still interested in hearing suggestions on this as well just for the long term, cause I plan to eventually add stones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:19 am 

I would look into some better stones to make a new set from. I don't really think you need anything over 6k but something on the low end for repair and a mid grit stone like a 2k wouldn't be a bad start.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:39 am 

Just a question. There's some talk that we should be using edge trailing strokes with the finishing grits. I use dmt plates at 600 then 1200 and the strop with 3 micron which is equivalent to 8000 grit I think. I could add a 5 micron grit strop in between and a 1 micron after the 3 micron to narrow the progression. Question is whether a strop can be a substitute for a high grit stone and would the end result be similar?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:45 am 
Forum Moderator

I would think that a finer stone would be a better way to go than numerous strops/pastes. Rika 5K is an awesome stone, strop on bare leather or leather with 1 micron if you want the edge polished a bit more, but leaves an excellent toothy edge that is great in the kitchen. The Rika 5K works very well on a number of steels, from VG-10, AEB-L, M390, 19C27, R2, and the Blue and White families, as well as 52100, SK series, etc. From there, I would look at a 8-10K stone. You may also find you like a 1K waterstone over the diamond plate 1200; the diamond stones work a bit differently and can often leave some deep scratches. I have a few diamond stones here and they sit unused unless I am flattening a stone. Waterstones are a much better way to go with the kitchen knives IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:54 pm 

Yes I'm beginning to sway toward stones. The 1200 diamond plate lacks feedback. Sometimes I don't know where the blade is on the plate and can tilt the edge one way or other that it rides on the edge of the plate. After that it's grinding to fix the mess from that mistake. I like the feel of the 600 grit diamond and can feel where the blade is with that. It does make sense to get a 1/4k, 2k, 4k or 5k stone to go after the 600 grit diamond. Now understand that stropping is for cleaning up the final edge rather than as part of the sharpening process cos it could round the edge. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

No problem! The 600 will work well for chip removal and stuff, look at a set of stones like the Bester 1200 or Nubatama Ume 1K Medium and a Rika 5K. I use this combo for the vast majority of my knives and it gives a wickedly toothy, yet refined, clean cutting edge on many steels. Add in a J nat finisher in the 6-8K range if you want more refinement and a 1 micron strop and you should be set to tackle a wide variety of steels and knives!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next