It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:54 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Which Knives to choose: Wusthof, Henkel, MAC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:35 pm 

I've seen some friends put their knives in the dishwasher and it absolutely destroys them over time.
I have some older German knives that I use for heavy duty tasks and some Japanese knives for delicate cutting.
I love the sharpness of the Japanese knives and reach for them almost every time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:13 am 

Don't count out bamboo boards, they can be found very cheap and work great. Be sure to season them regularly with food safe mineral oil, a good board will greatly prolong the life of a good edge. That being said, whatever knife upgrade you choose wont Matter if you cant sharpen. I learned how on a cheap smiths tri hone and will be upgrading to some real stones soon. Back to the original question, if you go wusthof, get the ikon. Without the useless bolster you have a better knife than they've made in over a hundred years. Ive heard macs are great but cant personally vouch for them, and avoid the henkels, or anything else with the bolster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:53 am 

Watch out for bamboo boards that have a lot of glue holding them together, these are better than nothing but not by much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:51 am 

I counted out Bamboo a long time ago. I'd rather use plastic if I can't use a real wood board.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:00 am 

The glue on the bamboo boards is what destroys your knives. I'd rather use plastic than bamboo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:00 am 

The glue on the bamboo boards is what destroys your knives. I'd rather use plastic than bamboo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:32 pm 

Jeff B wrote:I counted out Bamboo a long time ago. I'd rather use plastic if I can't use a real wood board.

Like I said, not by much! lol. I have been known to use plastic before bamboo too. I don't know if I would choose glass over bamboo though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:57 pm 

ok. i have nailed this down to either Fujiwara FKM or Tojiro DP but i am now confused on the blade profile. Fujiwara is 70/30 and Tojiro is 50/50. is one better than the other? there is a nice video on youtube of a Tojiro gyuto slicing a tomato that is sitting on a counter. thats what i want. i am assuming the Fujiwara will do the same thing. My big item would be which one will hold the edge better.

HELP!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:01 pm 

since the title of this post is no longer the topic i will create a new post with my Fujiwara and Tojiro question.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:27 am 

Good idea

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3