It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:48 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: yet another gyoto/chef post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:45 am 

I currently own an 8 inch ikon and love it; however, I am interested in something longer and lighter. Im right handed and love sharpening, no real preference with ss or carbon, but I would like to stick with a western handle. I'd prefer a 240 but 270 isn't out of the question. A chef I know told me irregular bevels are a gimmick (start arguing now) so I would like to ha ve a 50/50 bevel. Does anyone know if the tkc is 50/50, if its worth the extra money compared to the mac pro, and whats the story on tje cheap goko Damascus. Im willing to go over 200, but id rather not, any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: yet another gyoto/chef post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:48 am 

TKC is 50/50. It will be better than a Mac. It won't be lighter than your Ikon, I don't think, but the steel will blow most any competition away. This knife keeps your western handle and is "Semi-Stainless"
I'm not sure what the chef would mean by a gimmick, unless he never used a knife with a different bevel. But to each their own.
The Goko Damascus is a thin knife that many people are enjoying at the price point. The 240 Goko, which may be OOS, is a feather at its length. It is thin enough that one must employ good cutting technique to avoid damaging it. It is a Wa style handle though.

Will this knife be for home use only or professional use?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:56 am 

IMO:

The difference in handling between a 240 and a 270 is marginal and the extra length is useful.

I went from Wusthof stainless to K Sabatier carbon before getting into j-knives and it still seems like a natural progression. If I was going the same route today I might try the Richmond SAB in 52100. I understand the steel is harder than on the original Sabs, the 52100 is a bit less maintenance-intensive (not that this has been a real issue for me), and there's a couple of other useful modifications. I haven't handled the Goko damascus so no opinion there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:01 am 

Adam Marr believes the TKC is 50/50

kikuichi-performance-tkc-t4610.html

Goko Damascus s a deal Mark got on some 19C27 stainless blades, and he passed the savings on to us. Great blades, decent handles, but they dont come in a Western handle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:21 am 

Ikon 8" is a heavy beast weighing in at 8.9oz. Not many 270mm gyuto's on the site weigh that much :shock:

There is a 270mm TKC currently in the classifieds for $40 off the original price viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5359&view=unread#unread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:25 am 

I haven't used it, but the Takayuki Grand Cheff is relatively thin and has a Western-handled 240mm version at under $200. No 270 though.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satagrch24gy.html

I don't see that one recommended around here much, but I thought I would throw it out there becuase I've heard good things about the wa version.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:50 am 

The hiromoto would be good but it's got a little weight to it. If you are into western handles the Aogami Super steel is really the best stuff to sharpen. It's easy to get cutting and keep cutting. Also it's under 200$...The edge is robust and you can thin the edge as you use it. A practical knife that won't suck.

Think honda civic with a turbo :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:39 pm 

The TKC is a really nice knife. Is it worth the jump from the Mac Pro? Tough to say. Personally, I'd say yes. I took the Masamoto VG over the Mac Pro four months back, and after using the TKC, would have probably got the TKC if I did it over again. Nice part about the Masamoto is the heft - comes in at over 9 ounces for the 240mm

The Mac Pro are Masamoto and long-standing recommendations to folks transitioning from euro knives to J knives. More belly (not as much as German, more French like), more heft, SS at a HRC higher than German steel (but not quite what most J bladesmiths do with carbon) and yo / western handle.

But with Fujiwara and Tojiro coming in at half the price for SS (and carbon option on the Fuji in addition to SS), those knives are a tougher sell to me. Other options like the Hiromoto in carbon in yo handle also raise the bar. If CKTG were to carry a Takamura Migaki R2 in 240mm, I think it would push out quite a few of the MP and Masa purchases.

Assuming you are looking to stay with yo handles, have you looked at any of the Richmond knives? Some of those come in AEB-L stainless. I have one, and am quite fond of the AEB-L. Sharpens pretty easily for stainless, can take a pretty acute edge and holds it very well. I am slightly more impressed with that than say the VG on my Masamoto. As well, I have been eyeing this knife for awhile now - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/risabaech25.html. Classic french Sabatier profile, AEB-L, 250mm (so a tweener from 240mmm to 270mm) in yo/western handle. The handle is unpretentious, but very well done (i.e. great fit and finish) on the Artifex I have. Plus no bolster and a bit of heft - 8 ounces or so.

If you were leaning TKC, also check out the Maruyoshi HD in stainless damascus, same price point. Not talked about a lot, but from the limited feed back, very nice knives. I like that the Kanji is engraved, not printed. Adds some character and class. And it is damascus like the Goko you were asking about.

Last, if you want to look at wa handles, things really open up alot as far as options/possibilities. You can get some truly amazing gyutos for under $200.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:07 pm 

Does anyone have a TKC with printed kanji? Mine is engraved, maybe it is older? I just purchased it here on CKTG maybe, 3 months ago though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:11 pm 

Sorry, Dan, didn't mean to say the TKC was or wasn't engraved. I was thinking more of a comparison against Mac Pro and Masamoto. I think it is just one of the those things that sets the TKC and Maruyoshi apart from the MP and Masa. Plus, that chrysanthemum is uber-cool.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next