It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:57 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Petty wanted 150 mm
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

No, you aren't missing anything! Not many Western handled knives out there, especially higher end petty's and in stainless! For Stainless, the powder metals are awesome, absolutely love my R2 Tanaka and it's not at all bad to sharpen like M390 is; that can be a pain! $150 for a stainless powder metal steel that will take a wicked edge and hold it well is a bargain!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:48 pm 

taz575 wrote:The Takamura fits the bill, but it is clad. Most Japanese knives are clad, even in stainless. The Tanaka R2 Damascus is also clad as is the Harayuki. The Takamura has Dymondwood handles, not Ironwood. Big difference in the wood, weight, look, etc. You could have the Takamura rehandled and still be under your budget. The cladding on these knives is stainless, as is the core.

I have a Tanaka R2 Wa 240mm gyuto. Edge retention is sick, I sharpened it up quickly and used to it prep a huge pot of chili and do some other cutting with it. Edge feels like it just came off of the stones! I would go with the Takamura R2 or the Harayuki, depending on which one you like the looks of better.

My bad, I thought the handles were the same on the Takamura and Tanaka.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:13 pm 

Some random thoughts to the OP...

If you (or wife) are going to use as primary prep knife, ala 'mini-gyuto', one item to watch with pettys is the blade height - dimension from heel of blade to spine (bottom to top). Some pettys are a little tall-ish, some rather slim, much like a paring knife profile. Depending on a host of variables, namely grip and hand size, you can get a lot of knuckle dragging. Personally, I would take a measurement of the 5" Wusty that your wife uses, and get a measurement (I didn't know that Wusty made a 5" chef...thought 6" was their shortest). Then, I'd shoot for something that is at least that, if not more. No sense in spending good money on something that is going to cause discomfort. When my mom cooks at my house, she is a little scared of my bigger knives, and usually picks the 150mm petty. But watching her use it, it looks real awkward because she can't use a pinch grip with insufficient knuckle clearance, and ends up with the handle in her fingers. Kind of like trying to prep veggies with a steak knife.

She loved my old santoku...which got me to thinking about this thread....if I could find one in stainless at a reasonable price...like a Takamura Migaki R2 @ 170mm for $160 (of course OOS) or Maruyoshi in VG10 at same price...

So when you say same size, are you referring to edge length, knife shape/profile, or both? Would you consider other knife shapes/types? Santoku?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:51 pm 

Here are a couple others that (I think) fit your criteria.

Sakai Takayuki Damascus: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sata12pe.html (Oh, just saw someone had linked to it earlier . . . )

Maruyoshi HD: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hapakn.html (VG-10 steel)

From the conditions you described, I wouldn't spend $250 for a knife in this situation. Of course I'm not you, and it's your money. I think there are a variety of good suggestions in this thread--some nice knives. Though none I've handled myself.

I don't think Mark carries them, but the Z Kramer stainless are supposed to be nice knives--they make a 6" chef's knife (which is also above your budget, but just thought I'd throw it out there.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Emaduro - Socalboo makes some great points. I really like a 150 Petty that acts like a mini gyuto, but you've got to look at carbon, or stainless over carbon options to get a Petty that's got about 33-34 ish height at the heel. These act very much like a mini Gyuto in my experience.

I'm going to suggest a smaller Santoku or even a 180 Gyuto as an option:

Fujiwara FKM Gyuto 180mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fu18gy.html

Fujiwara FKM Santoku: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmsa18.html

Tojiro DP Gyuto 180mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpchkn18.html

Tojiro DP Santoku: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpsakn17.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:27 pm 

Thank you everyone.

socalboo... I like your advice. I am going to measure the knife. And yes + yes, looking for same size knife and same profile (chefs). Also I did a little googling. The wusty knife is called 5 inch chef on some website but others call it 5 inch cooks knife.

El

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:47 pm 

emaduro wrote:Thank you everyone.

socalboo... I like your advice. I am going to measure the knife. And yes + yes, looking for same size knife and same profile (chefs). Also I did a little googling. The wusty knife is called 5 inch chef on some website but others call it 5 inch cooks knife.

El

I think the smallest santoku offered is 165mm, which is about 6.5". The 180mm put you at just over 7". If your wife doesn't use a pinch grip, and is willing to try it out, I'd bet that a 180mm gyuto or santoku will feel about roughly the same in terms of weight and agility as the wusty chef if she gets her thumb and forefinger forward in a pinch. If so, and she's up for the profile change to a santoku, there are a lot to look at in 165 and 180mm in western (yo) handles. And some for really reasonable prices. SteveG tagged the econo models I would point to as well to start the santoku and short gyuto hunting. A 180mm gyuto really does feel like a slightly oversized petty. It's kind of a tweener knife in my book.

Just so you know, there are a few shorter knives (150mm and under, say) that have taller profiles and have some similarity to gyutos, but the ones I see are carbon, which you said you didn't want. But just some additional thoughts. Here's one - not necessarily endorsing it one way or another, but showing some options - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yawh1kobo12.html. The is a similar shape at 165 in a funayaki by same manufacturer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:52 am 

emaduro wrote:Basically, my wife uses a 5 inch chefs Wusthof classic for 100% of her knife work. I want to give her a better option but the same size. It has to be full stainless because it will never get washed till the meal is over when I wash the dishes.  It has to be 150 mm.  I will also want to use the knife so I want it sick sharp for a stainless. 

Just checking, 5" is 125 mm so at 150mm you're getting her a knife that's 1" longer than her Wusthof.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:02 am 

emaduro, based on what you said you want despite the discrepancy between 5" and 150mm.

Single steel (no cladding), stainless, western handle, petty, right handed and below 250. The artifex petty fits the bill exactly for just 49.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar15pe.html

And AEB-L is made for razor blades, has fine carbide structure and will get sick sharp similar to a carbon blade. You could hold out for hep40 or plunk down for the Takamura which does look gorgeous and is going to be a purely emotional buy, but in meeting all your specs the richmond artifex petty does the job.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:48 pm 

rayong wrote:Single steel (no cladding), stainless, western handle, petty, right handed and below 250. The artifex petty fits the bill exactly for just 49.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar15pe.html

And AEB-L is made for razor blades, has fine carbide structure and will get sick sharp similar to a carbon blade. You could hold out for hep40 or plunk down for the Takamura which does look gorgeous and is going to be a purely emotional buy, but in meeting all your specs the richmond artifex petty does the job.

The Artifex is not a particularly tall blade, so I don't think it serves well as a replacement for a chef's (the OP mentioned looking for a "mini-gyuto").

I have this blade, and find performance to be greatly improved after significant thinning, so that might be another consideration.

Page 2 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next