It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cutting board wood
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:47 am 

My Boardsmith is a combination of maple and walnut. They work equally well.
My particular board drank a lot of mineral oil when it arrived.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:56 pm 

Yeah I ordered a 12 oz. bottle of mineral oil so I am prepared when the board arrives. You are supposed to warm it somewhat on the stovetop (or some way) before putting it on right? And I just drip a few drops here and there and then spread it around or do I do a big puddle? Do I need to evenly displace the oil over the entire board?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

I just squirt some out of the bottle onto the middle of the board and use a wadded up paper towel to spread it around. Mineral oil is pretty thin, no need to heat normally. I watch where it soaks in and add more to those areas until it doesn't soak in quickly. I let sit for a few minutes and then wipe off the excess.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:02 pm 

"I ordered a 12 oz. bottle of mineral oil"

The most cost effective way I have found to get mineral oil is to buy at the pharmacy, cvs, walgreens, supermarket, whatever. It is sold as a laxative. It is less expensive than "cutting board" oil and widely and locally available. If you want the Boo Board cream stuff, it is basically bees wax melted into mineral oil, just do a web search for proportions and methods. Cheap and easy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:05 pm 

I usually use food grade mineral oil on my boards and put it on room temp out of the bottle, but the new one I got came with a bottle of Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner. I've read I should heat it before applying, but how do I heat it and how hot?

Right in a small heavy bottom SS pot on the stovetop for a minute or two til it's pretty warm?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:19 pm 

where do I buy beeswax?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:33 pm 

"I've read I should heat it before applying, but how do I heat it and how hot?"

You might be able to microwave it. I would use hot tap water in a bowl and hold the bottle in there to raise the temp. You can heat on the cook top, and you are unlikely to get into trouble, but I have read warnings reminding people that oil and wax are fuels...so an ignition source like a cook top flame might not be ideal. One of the instructables for homemade, non-toxic wood finish suggests using a double boiler setup, but I am too lazy for that.

"where do I buy beeswax?"

I have got some at Whole Foods/Trader Joe's, the earthy crunchy type supermarkets. I think I found it in the cosmetics area...I don't remember. I have also picked up some at woodworking stores. The wax is used as filler and lubricant for fasteners. IIRC Mark said he gets his locally from a bee keeper, so if you have a local farmers' market, that might be a good place to try as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:39 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:"I've read I should heat it before applying, but how do I heat it and how hot?"

You might be able to microwave it. I would use hot tap water in a bowl and hold the bottle in there to raise the temp.

Aah man I'm dumb, this is a great idea and so simple and obvious.

As for microwaving, IDK haha, I try to avoid it at all costs, it supposedly changes the molecular structure of everything in a much different fashion then other more traditional forms of heating, often in a bad way that releases a lot of carcinogens.

Thanks though, the bottle in hot water method is perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:49 pm 

Beeswax

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YB ... UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:11 am 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I think I have the same Howards goopy stuff here, still haven't used it yet, just the mineral oil.

Page 3 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next