It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:05 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: getting my knives out of the box sharp??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:42 pm 

my knives are;
Miyabi gyuto
miyabi usuba
and a miyabi petty.

I have had them for around a year. I ordered a set of stones from ebay. 400, 1000, 4000, and 8000 grits. The chef who taught me how to sharpen taught me a Japanese type technique where the right side is sharpened at a lower angle than the left as opposed to even angles on each side. So basically I spend most of the time sharpening the right side, and then put a "micro bevel" on the other side. I thought I was getting a lot better at sharpening until the last couple of times. I just havent been able to get a lasting, or even very sharp, edge on my knives. Honestly i have never been able to get that out of the box type razor sharp edge.

Could this be that the stones have gotten too worn down?

I really fell in love with my knives (I know there are better ones out there) when they were razor sharp. Lately I am frustrated and going crazy.

Should I invest an edge pro system? Or maybe just upgrade the stones and keep trying?

please advise!!

Post subject: Re: getting my knives out of the box sharp??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:06 pm 

The chef taught you wrong.

Your knives need a 50/50 bevel instead of the 80/20 you are applying now.

I would take a guess that your blade is Damascus clad or clad in some way. By sharpening the way you are it is putting the bevel into soft metal.

The geometry of the blade is completely wrong for a 80/20 bevel too. Why every chef teaches this style of sharpening regardless of blade style has me at a loss for words. I've seen lots of knives ruined by this type of teaching.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:32 pm 

I wouldn't say an 80/20 grind is flat out wrong. But it doesn't have it's use for your everyday kitchen needs.

I would reset the bevel at 50/50 with some freshly lapped stones and enjoy knives that will no longer steer on you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:53 pm 

When a blade is clad with soft metal and V ground then it is very much incorrect to sharpen single sided because you end up with soft clad metal as the cutting edge.

Knives with asymmetric bevels are typically flat ground on one side and convex on the other.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:02 am 

first off, we need to know what line of myabis you own.
the most of them are 60/40 from the factory on the double bevels,
the usuba is a true usuaba single bevel concave back, requires uroshi.
if you are using the 5000s line you may have sharpened to the point where u need some major thinning.

first step sir!
tell us what line of myabis they are, have u ever flattened those stones of yours??? if you've used the 400 a lot and do your main sharpening work on it, it may be badly dished and giving you very poor results especially if your putting 60-80% of your time creating a face bevel that isn't even really true, then no surprise your not getting results you want

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:39 am 

My chefs knife is the Miyabi Kaizen and the Usuba and petty are the 5000 S line.
I have flattened the stones every time I have used them and I have only really used the 400 stone once on these knives. (except the usuba which i have never used it with). Except for scratching it the first time i sharpened it, the usuba's blade is actually still pretty good. my main concern is the chefs knife.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:04 am 

Your chef knife is as I have described and should be sharpened as I explained.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:32 am 
Forum Moderator

Agree with all that's been said. You should be able to get your knives SHARPER than they were originally.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]