It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Wanting to get a New Knife.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:18 am 

Hi all I'm new here and I'm wanting to get a new knife and was told to ask on this forum about them.

I'm looking at getting one of these two knives and I don't care that the Hammered blade looks prettier I want to get the knife that is the sharper of the two and will also stay sharper longer,I'm guessing it would be the knife in the top link in this post and that happen's to be the knife I'm leaning toward rather heavily as well.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/funa18peocha.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tohacana.html

Post subject: Re: Wanting to get a New Knife.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:34 am 

If you're only concern is edge retention between those 2 knives the Fujiwara is the clear winner. Since, you didn't give us much information about you I apologize if you are already aware, but highly hardened steels, such as the fujiwara you linked, are more brittle and require more care. The cutting edge on that knife is carbon steel and will rust if allowed to sit with liquid on it. All knives will get dull at some point, if you don't know how to sharpen yourself and don't want to learn(it's not hard), you will want to make sure the knife ends up in the hands of a someone who knows how to sharpen fine Japanese hand made knives. There are many excellent sharpeners listed under the "sharpener's Corner" of this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:35 am 

The Teruyasu-Fujiwara is in a whole different league than the Tojiro.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:37 am 

Jeff B wrote:The Teruyasu-Fujiwara is in a whole different league than the Tojiro.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:43 am 

Thanks for the info guys I guess it's settled then I'll be getting a Teruyasu-Fujiwara,as far as looking after the knife goes I have that down pat as well and I already have a Sakai Takayuki Damascus Hammered Santoku 180mm and it works really well and is like razor blade when compared to any Western made knife out there including Henckels .

As far as sharpening goes I have a KME system with the Gold Series Hones but won't ever use them on a Japanese knife as there is no need with a blade that thin,I have the Chosera Stones and strops,I'm going to be getting some Shapton stone cut that are higher then the 10000K Chosera stone,I'm getting Shapton 15,000 and 30,000 stones cut to fit the KME stone holder,I love my KME it works grat on all my Zero Tolerance Pocket knifes that use the ELMAX.

The KME does a great job on my Sakai Takayuki Damascus Hammered Santoku as well.

Thanks for everyones help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:30 am 

One other thing I forgot to ask was is the Fujiwara a 50/50 grind on the blade as I use a KME Sharpening system and not free-hand I would have to much trouble trying to sharpen this knife if it were a 60/40 or something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:44 am 
Forum Moderator

Wade, excellent choice. Just wait until you try the Teruyasu! It's got one of the sharpest OOTB edges I've ever seen, and with some bite or tooth. I can't speak to that knife, the 240 Teruyasu I'm playing with right now seems to have a 50/50 grind to the blade. If you're talking about the edge bevel, that shouldn't matter as you can sharpen it any way you like, fixed angle system or freehand.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

They should be fine. They're ground close to even and the micro bevels on them are so small that you won't have trouble using your jig.

Also, if you want to get some shapton glass stones cut to size for your machine email me and I'll quote you. I can do them for you.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jeff B wrote:The Teruyasu-Fujiwara is in a whole different league than the Tojiro.

+ whatever number we're up to at this point.

Not even a real contest.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:05 am 

Adam Marr wrote:

+ whatever number we're up to at this point.

Not even a real contest.

+1

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next