It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:03 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What would be best Konosuke for a culinary student
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:14 pm 

snipes wrote:
Jeff B wrote:With kind of budget I think you would enjoy this more than a Kono, I would, Teruyasu-Fujiwara Nashiji 240mm Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/funa24gyocha.html

I'm curious why you would suggest this Jeff? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, simply curious - I own both and have my own thoughts.

He can explain it much more eloquently than me. teruyasu-240-gyuto-t4963.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:16 pm 

Jeff B wrote:
snipes wrote:
Jeff B wrote:With kind of budget I think you would enjoy this more than a Kono, I would, Teruyasu-Fujiwara Nashiji 240mm Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/funa24gyocha.html

I'm curious why you would suggest this Jeff? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, simply curious - I own both and have my own thoughts.

He can explain it much more eloquently than me. teruyasu-240-gyuto-t4963.html

Ah, yes Mel's post was somewhat of a market mover in his praise. :) FWIW, I would agree with you if we are talking about the Kono Fuji and the T-F, though our reasons might not necessarily be the same.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:25 pm 

That's a nice budget. You don't even need to spend all of it to get a great knife. You didn't mention sharpening--do you have a means to sharpen? If you don't spend that whole budget on a knife, I'd suggest getting a stone or two, plus probably a strop, if you don't already have them.

Most folks on here are going to recommend the more versatile gyuto over a santoku, especially if you are jumping in to get one awesome knife that will be able to perform a wide range of tasks.

The Kono 240s seem to run a bit shorter (generally in the low 230s). I don't know if it's similar with the 210s, but I'd certainly ask before making the order, or maybe someone who owns one will comment here. Konosuke Fujiyamas get wide respect and appreciation. You could get a white #2, white #1, or blue #2, whichever flavor of steel you prefer. I think the grind on the blue #2s is particularly nice.

T. Fujiwaras with very hard white #1 are getting a lot of love on here, too. Since you're open to a 210, I think it's a far better value than the 240--there's a big price increase for the longer one. You probably have enough experience with knives to make the decision about whether a 210 is long enough, or if you might be wanting the longer length in the future. Maybe someone who owns a Fujiwara can comment on the actual blade length. (Oh, just looked it up, the product page has a measurement of 212mm on the 210.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm with Dan on this one, I don't know why you would want to bring a nice Konosuke Gyuto to culinary school. I would get one for home use and bring something more ordinary and less expensive to school sessions and any unfamiliar locations where you'll be working.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:21 pm 

I wouldn't bring a high end knife to a culinary school.

Get something under 125 that if it goes missing you won't die about, or if it gets dropped, or pushed through a chicken back etc...

Students have sticky fingers even at the big schools, mistakes happen that's why they're there to learn.
For school purposes I'd go a completely different route. (speaking from personal experience) I've seen kids get entire knife rolls stolen from school.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:15 am 

For school, maybe a good all-rounder prep knife like a Kohetsu 240, or Richmond AS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:55 am 

The best Konosuke for a culinary student is the one left at home. Take your Victorinox to school and be happy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:43 am 

I'd say get a big old ugly hunk of reactive carbon for school. Cut the shiny kids work for them because they'll be struggling with the Victorinox...Sorry but those Victorinox knives are pudding blades.

I think the newest Richmond Sabatier profiled knife would be exceedingly proper for a culinary student. It's the classic style blade that will see rugged daily use.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:40 pm 

Jeff B wrote:The best Konosuke for a culinary student is the one left at home. Take your Victorinox to school and be happy.

Plus, no one would want to nick a Victorinox! But I have seen some strange stuff walk, strange.

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2