It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Newbie -How did I do on Japanese knives purchase?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:20 pm 

Great! The Yuki is a gorgeous knife that cuts really, really well, and the Hiro has a great profile with a good amount of heft to it. I kinda wish I had gotten the Hiro instead of my Masamoto VG. Oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:39 pm 

Starting to think that I order the knives too big....

Joel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:26 pm 

NewOrleans_Joe wrote:Starting to think that I order the knives too big....

Joel

Nah. FWIW, I know far more people who think they should have ordered a larger knife than I do who think they should have ordered a smaller knife. In fact, I can't think of anyone who wanted one smaller. :)

I got a 210 gyuto and used it for a year. It started to feel small so I gave it to my wife and got a 240. Got tired of the steel and shape on that knife (Global - shhh, don't tell anyone) and got a 240 with a different shape. Had that for about 3 months now, and have been fighting my fingers as they try to hit "add to cart" on a 270 wa-gyuto.

It is all relative, especially to the size of your work space. A number of the pros on this site use a larger knife in prep but downsize for line/service because of size of workspace and speed of service. I have heard some say they use a 150mm petty for service after using a 270mm gyuto for prep.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:15 pm 

Thinking about the Ryusen Blazen. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this knife?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:26 am 

Blazen and Haruyuki gyutos have very similar grinds, ootb sharpness and edge thickness. Check out Shaun's video of the Haruyuki http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTy47k_K2U

The biggest differences are the Blazen has more belly as a result of a higher tip and has a wider handle. The Blazen handle is pretty standard for a western handle. The Haruyuki has a unique handle, Shaun's video highlighted it very well.

Minor differences include core steel, r2 and srs15. Spine on Blazen is slightly thinner at the heel, but not by much. Both very nice knives, but I slightly prefer the profile and balance of the Haruyuki. It's been said r2 takes a finer edge and srs15 holds an edge slightly longer. I can't say I have noticed much difference.

Yeah, I know this was kind of a round about way of answering your question, but Shaun articulates more about the grind, feel and sharpness in his video than I can in a single post and they are very similar knives. Besides, Mr. Knife Fanatic's videos are so fun to watch :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:33 am 

Diverse selections, these knives should help refine your tastes in different steels.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:05 pm 

I am with socalboo on this one. Large is relative. How big is your work area and cutting board? I started with a 210 gyuto, and a year later it was feeling small. Got myself a 240 and now the 210 is my gf's go-to. 240 doesn't even really feel that big, but I have no need to go any larger (for now :) ). Plus I'm only ever in the kitchen with one other person so space is plenty.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:00 pm 

My cutting board work table is pretty large. I have a John Boos country work table butcher block.

http://www.kitchensource.com/kitchen-is ... 0206-s.htm

I also just picked up a western Konosuke HD2 270mm off of facebook.

Joel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:17 pm 

NewOrleans_Joe wrote:My cutting board work table is pretty large. I have a John Boos country work table butcher block.

http://www.kitchensource.com/kitchen-is ... 0206-s.htm

I also just picked up a western Konosuke HD2 270mm off of facebook.

Joel

Good to go. Just give the length some time - you'll appreciate it down the road. Nice work table.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:25 pm 

Very nice Joe. You have some good taste. Enjoy it all. I recently renovated a double then moved into one side. The kitchen is where I put the most thought and $$. It's my favorite place to be. It was like that growing up too.

Only thing left I can think of (and i'm sure you have) is a place to store them all!

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next