It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:43 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Is a Diamond Steel the best option for non-stoners
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:31 am 

Thats the one!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:11 am 

I have a diamond steel rod, and a Idahone rod
For a quick edge alignmnent go with the diamond steel first, take your time, it is very aggressive!
My wife almost ruined a Santoku knife because she steeled it too much on the diamond steel. I had to completely reprofile the edge.
Then finishing strokes on the Idahone
The Chefs Choice makes an extensive line of electric pull through sharpeners. I have one here, I tried it a few times. Personally I think it's Crap!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:08 pm 

There's a chefs choice manual Asian sharpener as well called chefs choice Pronto 463 Asian sharpener. I have it. It works reasonably well for people who don't want the hassle of using stones.

There's a video of it comparing it with several other sharpeners.. They dulled Masamoto vg knives and resharpened them.

See: http://youtu.be/-Ymbe8x4IjU

Edit: sorry you were asking about a sharpener in general. The 20 degree equivalent of the Asia sharpener is the Pronto 464. I've tried that too and it works pretty good for a pull through.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:22 pm 

The chef choice Pronto 464 and 463 sharpeners are pretty good. I've used both and they create a very good 20/20 or 15/15 degree bevels. The first stage sets the bevel and they are the correct right angle but they are aggressive and produce a pretty scratched up bevel. The second stage produces a micro bevel that produces a good sharp and durable edge. It basically produces the mechanics of a good edge and that's it.

Shortcoming are that it can't thin they edge and as you use it more and more it becomes thicker behind the edge. The bevel is pretty coarse.

I thought of using the stage 1 to set the bevel and then use stones to polish it and thin the edges but I find I prefer to just go to stones/diamond plate direct and do it all there.

If you want the cutting efficiency of diamond and the flexibility of free handing the angles dmt has fine and extra fine grit steels. The fine steel will create a pretty good working edge in your knives at your volunteer kitchen, the edge is still pretty good and has lots of bite and it removes metal fast enough to be a sharpener. If you want you could get the extra fine grit steel also and that could refine the edges further.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:30 pm 

MrDelicious wrote:I've never used a pull-thru sharpener that I thought was worth $.02. Is there really one? I'm not worried about price, I'm worried more about convenience, speed, storage and longevity.

Me either but your options are limited and it will be just as wise as using a electric or diamond rod sharpener. The results will be poor the bevels ugly and the damage extensive but that's the price one pays for not wanting to do things the right way.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2