It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:50 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: No love for the Sharpmaker?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:55 pm 

I realize this forum is pretty much obsessed with comically thin edges and insanely fine finishes, but am I really the only one who loves this little gadget?

Disadvantages: Limited to two angles, both of which are pretty fat (unless you flip the base over and use the rods as a flat stone), the included rods aren't coarse enough for repairing damage or fine enough for the kind of edges most of you maniacs seem to be looking for (but there are coarser stones in the aftermarket, and the Spyderco Ultra Fines are actually pretty nice...)

Advantages: No mess, instant setup, far less focus required than freehanding.

I use mine on my big fat German chef's, the Sabatiers and pretty much anything else that doesn't warrant spending an hour setting up, going through a whole progression and cleaning up afterwards. Quick, casual, nothing to clean up and it puts a hair-whittling edge on my everyday knives that I can actually maintain everyday (or even several times a day, if the work justifies it). What's not to love?

Anyone else use this thing?

Post subject: Re: No love for the Sharpmaker?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:36 am 

I have one. I can't say I use it for its intended purpose. But you can do allot of fine stuff on softer steels with the stones. Good for Swiss Army knives, nail clippers and such. As far as knives in general go its not something I use. To slow. I do like the Spyderco ceramic stones / rods though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:44 pm 

Friend of mine has the sharpmaker, but it took too long to sharpen his EDC (2 hrs) that had cpm30v steel and it still wasn't sharp. I considered it but decided against it.

Was looking for spiderco stones here but didn't see any.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm 

I'm not trying to sell the gadget as a universal solution. I can see establishing an edge on one of those abrasion-resistant monsters being too much for this. One of the first knives I tried on it was a Queen in D2, that definitely wasn't going to work either.

I don't really see the Sharpmaker being useful for establishing an edge or repairing damage, it's more for routine maintenance. In my book it really shines for creating and maintaining microbevels, but I typically freehand or use the EdgePro for the back bevel and to grind out chips.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:44 am 

"No love for the Sharpmaker?"

Not around here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:58 am 

Have to agree with Jeff. For the most part people here are enthusiasts, and enjoy taking the time to set up, sink into focus, and perfect their edges. If I thought of sharpening as a chore I wouldn't be here. My problem is that my knives are too sharp and I have little excuse to sharpen with my full set up as much as I desire to. Sharpmakers convenience does nothing for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:01 am 

LucaBrasi wrote:Have to agree with Jeff. For the most part people here are enthusiasts, and enjoy taking the time to set up, sink into focus, and perfect their edges. If I thought of sharpening as a chore I wouldn't be here. My problem is that my knives are too sharp and I have little excuse to sharpen with my full set up as much as I desire to. Sharpmakers convenience does nothing for me.

Exactly. In reality I only need to touch up my knives every month or so. However I choose to touch them up every weekend after work.

I like taking the time to perfect my edges, that doesn't mean the highest grit finish imaginable though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:04 am 

You realize the UF SM rods are equal to a 8000 grit Japanese waterstone?

In most all cases only 2-3 water stones are used in a sharpening progression.... Same as the sharpmaker.

Mess? Maybe a little extra water but no extra chemicals are needed to clean them unlike spyderco ceramic.

Ceramic is a very hard abrasive which causes excessive burring and with very hard steels can chip the edge.

Less focus? All sharpening requires the same amount of focus, lowering focus yields poor results.

The SM is a ok tool for maintaining edges on smaller blades but the thin rods make it slow to sharpen and it is overall a less than efficient way to sharpen large blades.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:58 am 

Jeff B wrote:"No love for the Sharpmaker?"

Not around here.

I can see that now. :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:32 am 

Yeah I'm getting the sharpening bug too. I find myself stropping after every use even if I just cut an apple. Once upon a time the sharp maker would have been fine but these days no.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]