It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:21 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: >> Oiling Wa's <<
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:44 am 

I've always used mineral oil on my cutting boards so when I started getting into non-stabilized wood handles I applied it every so often. Really darkens and enriches the color, also makes the handle softer and plush.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:20 am 

So I have a masakage shimo, I noticed at first that the handle seemed unfinished and the handle would get very discolored every time I did knife sharpening. It has happened before but a quick scrub removed it but its now pretty much stained grey and now the handle has a very porous feeling. Would it be beneficial to lightly sand it and give it a deep oil soak?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:26 am 
Forum Moderator

AznChef - Yes, sand and either use mineral oil or seal with a few light coats of something like Watco Danish Oil.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:19 am 

I'm going to try this method

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:48 pm 

AznChef wrote:So I have a masakage shimo, I noticed at first that the handle seemed unfinished and the handle would get very discolored every time I did knife sharpening. It has happened before but a quick scrub removed it but its now pretty much stained grey and now the handle has a very porous feeling. Would it be beneficial to lightly sand it and give it a deep oil soak?

Wet the handle (to raise the grain) and let it completely dry. Tape the ferrule and then sand the handle. Throw some mineral on and your done. I dont soak them, I apply the oil and if it disappears right away, I apply more. After an hour I wipe off the excess.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:43 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:For those of you that have slightly shrunken scales on your western handles, this method works well, to plump them back up.

Ahh nice tip. I have a few oldy/cheapies that could use this treatment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:08 pm 

What's mineral oil? Never really knew what people meant when they say that. Is it WD-40, johnson's baby oil, engine oil, hinge lubricant or what?

Just thinking, instead of the ziploc bag I'm thinking wrapping it with glad wrap. Keeps the oil/wood contact tighter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:10 pm 

Another question: How long do your Wa handles last? I like the vintage look and light weight of Wa handles but they don't seem as durable as western handles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

I do mine like this....

Once every 3 months - let it rest in the oil for about 3-5 days, then dry & polish with clean cloth.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:14 pm 

rayong wrote:What's mineral oil? Never really knew what people meant when they say that. Is it WD-40, johnson's baby oil, engine oil, hinge lubricant or what?

Just thinking, instead of the ziploc bag I'm thinking wrapping it with glad wrap. Keeps the oil/wood contact tighter.

None of those.

Mineral oil is "is any of various colorless, odorless, light mixtures of alkanes in the C15 to C40 range from a non-vegetable (mineral) source, particularly a distillate of petroleum". For more info, read the Wikipedia article - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

For our purposes, it is oil that comes in a bottle labeled mineral oil. You just need a "mineral oil" that is safe for human consumption. Baby oil is usually scented mineral oil, not intended for human consumption.

As cedarhouse said in a post:
"The most cost effective way I have found to get mineral oil is to buy at the pharmacy, cvs, walgreens, supermarket, whatever. It is sold as a laxative. It is less expensive than "cutting board" oil and widely and locally available. If you want the Boo Board cream stuff, it is basically bees wax melted into mineral oil, just do a web search for proportions and methods. Cheap and easy."

Page 2 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next