It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What stones should I get?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

I'm looking for a recommendation regarding Edge Pro accessories. I have 4 stock Edge Pro stones -- 200, 400, 600, 1000. I'd like to add some finer grits and am trying to decide between the Edge Pro tapes and some finer grit stones like the Chosera or Shapton. My sense is that the stones are more durable, but beyond that, is there a noticeable difference in result? What stones would be equivalent to the polishing tape.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

--- Mark

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What stones should I get?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:23 pm 

We could help you better if you provided a quick list of knives that you sharpen. Have you been getting satisfactory results with the stock stones? Do you ever reprofile the blades? if so your money may be better spend at the low end of the grit scale.

And, yes, everyone on here knows that I despise the stock EP stones. But I will answer the question in the spirit that it was provided. (We need a smily with a halo over it.)

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:26 pm 

I have not used the polishing tapes so I can't give you an adequate comparison. I have used both the Shapton Glass and the Choseras and between the 2, hands down I prefer the Shapton Glass. As far as grits are concerned I think most EP users on the forum agree that something like 1K 4K 8K is an adequate spread, although an addition of a 2K given no money constraints would be even better. I did use the EP low grit stones to begin with but found the Shaptons to be a much better option fwiw. Sorry I can't answer your question more specifically with regards to the tapes vs. stones.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:53 pm 

I would replace your 1k, and add a 4k and an 8k. Once you have a good edge, you will be using those three more often to to touch them up etc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:46 am 

I have never use the choseras, I have read several threads though on them cracking over time, I do use and like the Shapton glass stones, I agree on the 1K, 4K and 8K. As far as edge pro polishing tapes, I use them from time to time and they do work well, but they are finicky, if your blade is not perfectly flat on the table you will slice the tape on a upstroke.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:16 pm 

Well, we have no idea what steels OP is dealing with, or whether he performs a lot of reprofiling and/or chip repair, but suggestions are flowing like the Ganges. It's as if I asked what car is best to go from point A to point B without stating whether the two points are on the Nurburgring or between Ensenada and LaPaz and everyone's shouting out Ferrari! Cadillac! Pontiac Aztec!

The EP 1000 stone has a grit on par with a 3K on the Shapton scale.

The EP 2000 polishing tape has a grit on par with a Shapton 1.5K. So that's of no use coming off the EP 1000 stone.

The EP 3000 polishing tape has a grit on par with a Shapton 5K.

The EP 6000 polishing tape has a grit on par with a Shapton 16K.

For softer european steels and most Japanese steels the EP polishing tapes will give you a mirror finish. From my experience I can't tell you that they actually make the knife any sharper. If you have burr problems going into the tapes that burr will probably still be there afterwards. These are polishing tapes. As stated above, they are also a bit finicky to use and almost demand edge trailing strokes or else they will get cut up. You are in the game for the cost of 2 glass blanks and the tapes themselves.

For (almost) all steels the Shapton 5K and 8K would be the next logical steps off the EP 1000 were you to opt for stones. These will actually sharpen the edge rather than just polish. Edge leading strokes are obviously fine. The only downside is the upfront cost, but they will last forever.

For hard high alloy steels containing e.g. vanadium or cobalt I use 3M diamond lapping films mounted to glass blanks. I begin these at 3.0u, which is on par with the Shapton 5K, and have progressed through 1.0u, 0.5u, and 0.1u. These are somewhat difficult to find in consumer quantities, but PM me and I will provide sources. (Would be a great opportunity for CkTG to market in consumer quantities.) They are available with or without Pressure Sensitive Adhesive. Non-PSA films work quite well using nothing more than a thin layer of water to hold the tape to the blank. I have found the Type B abrasive to be very durable and it even allows edge leading strokes. The 0.1u film is only available in Type A abrasive, and thus may suffer cuts and nicks unless restricted to edge trailing storkes.

If you are performing reprofiling and/or chip repair and money's tight you would be better off acquiring an Atoma 140 or Nubatama 150 (or both) for the EP rather than chasing the mirror.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:05 pm 

Hey TDS, excellent post above. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:34 am 

What wet stones should I get? I have softer European (54:55 HRC) and Japanese AS (63:64) knives?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:17 am 

Good grief, for a minute I thought that was Shaun!

Opinions abound on this forum and (almost) none of them are wrong. I'll just tell you what I use and what works well for me.

For reprofiling I invested in an Atoma 140 diamond plate and a Nubatama 150. The Nubatama really smoothes out the gouges of the Atoma 140. It can also be used by itself.

For general sharpening I have the Shapton Pro line in 1K, 2K, 5K, and 8K. If you don't want to splurge on the Atoma and/or Nubatama fo reprofiling, a Shapton Pro 320 would work in there nicely.

I like the feedback the Pro line gives me...but I have never tried the Glass series. Shapton Glass has a lot of advocates on this forum.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:32 am 

Rick, you have provided some brilliant responses here, well done my friend.

I have the same lineup of Shapton Pro stones, the 5k is one of my all time favourite stones, I used it every time I sharpen a knife with the EP. I can't agree more about the Atoma 140, what a amazing product.
Peter

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next