It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: How high is too high for kitchen knives?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:23 pm 

Right now I finish my sharpening on a 5k chosera stone and then strop on that same 5k stone. I get really sharp edges and they perform well, but was considering going to an 8k stone. The finish from the 5k is almost mirror.

I'm not sure I would notice much of a difference and I read that going too high on a kitchen knife is not productive. Leads to a slippery edge. Seems most go to 4 or 5k and stop for normal kitchen knives.

What do you more experienced sharpeners think? I don't want to buy an 8k if it is not necessary. I just want to make sure that I'm getting the best possible edge and performance. I would rather buy another knife. :lol:

Dave.

Post subject: Re: How high is too high for kitchen knives?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:07 pm 

Buy another knife...If you are happy with the 5k performance stick with it. A higher grit edge will not be slippery but be more precise. You will essentially have an edge that is so refined it goes where you take it...Higher grits require discipline in burr removal. It's all or nothing when you go higher and higher.

The only way to find out if you like the higher grit is to try it. But if you are lusting after a new knife I'd get the knife first then refine it later to a crazy high grit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:15 pm 

For all practical purposes the 5K is plenty fine. Don't let the fact that many of us are obsessed influence your purchases.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:34 am 

Not a thing wrong with a 5k edge.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:40 pm 

Thanks everyone.

I may still pick up an 8000K stone just for the heck of it. When funds allow. :lol:

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:29 pm 

You should try the 3k Chosera, great stone and provides a excellent cutting edge.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:10 pm 

Hey Jason,

I heard that the 3000K was an excellent stone and left a great functional edge. Its one I thought about getting but the 1K stone edge is easily and quickly refined with the 5K stone. But having said that some say stopping with the 3k leaves a really functional toothy edge that is hard to beat.

If I had the money I would have them all! :lol:

Dave.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

I'm always playing with different combinations but low high works well for me. 400-600 followed by 2k-6k nice and light gives a nice edge. I almost always do a light strop on leather to finish too but only a couple super light passes.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:33 pm 

For a nice working edge I can stop at 4k, but since I'm a lunatic I usually go all the way to 10K and then strop with .5 micron :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:52 am 
Forum Moderator

As a test I did my Yoshikane gyuto on 1 stone only....#500 Shapton GS...and left it there - made very sure that there was no burr.

I was pleasantly surprised with the performance...actually found it better than finishing on higher grits....

Am I going cuckoo or what.....

:o :roll: :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next