It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: My dilema...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

These two bad boys showed up today and now I have to decide what to handle them with! Richmond AS Laser 270mm suji on top, Tanaka 240mm R2 gyuto on the bottom. Tanaka is a laser, AS Laser is a nice stuff suji with not much of any flex to it.

Tanaka blade sides:

Tanaka choil; these are thinner than the Sekiso series!!

Some of the wood I can choose from:

And a box of wood, got more around here, too!

Thinking of doing a starry night theme with Cobaltium M3 (light blue and silver) ferrule, or Curly Koa and Classic Mokume (copper and silver) ferrule for the Tanaka. Not sure about the AS Laser yet, I could do it up to match with the AS Laser gyuto with the red/blue redwood and M3 ferrule.

Post subject: Re: My dilema...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:24 am 

I think matching the Suji with the Gyuto would be cool. Sadly that handle on it now looks not so great, looks like the yamashin handle. Starry night is awfully nice looking. The Koa and Mokume is a great look too tho!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:16 am 
Forum Moderator

Lol, yeah, I picked some handles off of the shop floor to put on for now, one is a Tanaka handle (on the tanaka :) ), the other is a cheap handle, can't remember what knife it came off of.

The Tanaka is stumping me, it's super lightweight, so I am debating a non stabilized wood like Kauri that is lightweight and a synthetic ferrule, like faux horn or faux ivory or pearl. It would keep it lightweight and not be too flashy compared to the blade. But the dark and silvery blade is making me lean towards Starry Night again...lol.

Suji, thinking to match the AS Laser I did for myself, found a block of Blue Redwood Burl very much like the one I used on the gyuto and I have lots of M3 stuff here, too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:06 am 

I like the idea of a deep blue handle with white front and end ferrules. maybe faux pearl or something. would look stunning against the dark Damascus. I have wanted one of these knives for over 5 years, finally but the shrio kamo as a compromise cuz the tanaka s were out of stock, so wishing I waited, not that I don't love the shiro kamo but the tanakas are just so seductive looking,

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:18 am 

How about a red handle with a black ferrule? That KC103F block of red looking wood might turn a few heads.
My 2 cents, making matching handles is stupid, the blades don't match, neither should the handles.
You do great work, so I am certain you will deliver two great handles for us to drool over :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:15 am 

Such a dilemma, I feel so bad for you! :mrgreen:
By the way, I'm going to send you a couple more knives next week that need new shoes. I'll get with you about it soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ok Jeff!

Red is a PITA, it usually comes out more pink than red many times. Some woods take the dyes better than others, some stabilizing processes do the dyes better, too. Buckeye Burl takes dyes very well, some more dense burls, like Redwood, don't always take the dye consistently and the eye's usually resist the dyes.

I have an AS Laser 240mm gyuto, I was thinking of doing a matching handle for the AS Laser suji since it is in the same series. Still debating it, didn't get into the shed yesterday because it was way too cold :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:53 am 

I like your idea for the Tanaka, keep it light so it remains a true lazer.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]