It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Guide my next purchase, Kohetsu,Atoma, Tanaka
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:15 am 

I know the fit and finish is better on the Kohetsu. I have the Kohetsu knife but at times I feel like a taller blade would help. At it's price point I don't see many Gyutos with the same kind of height and relatively thin spine. I have the Nubatama 1k and 5k bamboo stones. I can touch them up if I have to.

Also I like that it's stainless. The pear finish seems rustic and attractive...the grind looks to be somewhat unique for a blade at the price. Assuming the grind is good but the edge is a bit wavy, I should be able to correct it with the stones.

Is this Tanaka going to give me a little more utility with it's height? That's all I'm trying to achieve. I'd also like to try this knife since not many are discussing it. I know the Kohetsu still might hold it's edge a little better and be slightly easier to sharpen but the ginsan has to be better than my Shun VG10...

Currenty debating on getting one more knife to play with before I get an Atoma 140...more sharpening practice would be advantageous. So far the nubatamas are not dishing too much. Also I'd rather feel more confident sharpening a new knife before I get into using a 140 plate for bevel work and stone flattening.

Post subject: Re: Guide my next purchase, Kohetsu,Atoma, Tanaka
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:26 am 

I think the Ginsan is a great choice if you main goal is more height. A very good steel from one of the better makers.
As far as the Atoma, it's great for flattening stones and thinning knives but is not needed to set a bevel. You would be better off in the 320-500 range. Less chance of removing to much metal and not having to fight diamond scratches as you finish the edge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:59 am 

Thanks for the correction...so basically I need to spend more money on sharpening hardware...I'm glad I didn't go fool around with the atoma first...I suppose I should try the Tanaka if it doesn't sell out. I'll try the blade...I do enjoy the D handle on my Shun so I'm sure the Tanaka will be just as comfy...I don't care about gaps or slight imperfections. It's my assumption that Tanaka spends more time focussing on the grind than cosmetics. I hope I am right.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:06 pm 

the grind on the tanaka ginsans is great, very thin behind the edge, like I wanna say it was thinner than the hamerred Damascus goko, just got them both. the tanaka was the sharper of the two ootb, the ginsan is hrc 62 and was easier/ more responsive on the stones than the goko @ 60hrc. very fine structure in the g3, remided me of the r2 in the kamo a little bit. tanaka alsa seems to hold edge pretty well, blew through some product nothing major maybe 30hr of strait chopping and could still shave, 5 passes on my shobu san natural and it was just like new.
good value from what ive seen so far

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:50 am 

cheffiec wrote:the grind on the tanaka ginsans is great, very thin behind the edge, like I wanna say it was thinner than the hamerred Damascus goko, just got them both. the tanaka was the sharper of the two ootb, the ginsan is hrc 62 and was easier/ more responsive on the stones than the goko @ 60hrc. very fine structure in the g3, remided me of the r2 in the kamo a little bit. tanaka alsa seems to hold edge pretty well, blew through some product nothing major maybe 30hr of strait chopping and could still shave, 5 passes on my shobu san natural and it was just like new.
good value from what ive seen so far

As I've started to see more reviews of those Tanaka ginsans, I've been thinking I need to pick one up at some point. Thanks for the thoughts.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]