It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:27 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pink handles...yup
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I got a couple requests for pink handles. I hate G10, so I didn't want to use the Pink G10 and I wanted something different. I got a set of the Pink Poly Pearl scales, but they looked kinda blah. Well, time to break out the epoxy and order some fabric! I had to get some "manly" colors too, so I got some blues, greens, blacks, reds, etc with the pinks:

Should be interesting on a Fujiwara FKM 150mm Petty!

Post subject: Re: Pink handles...yup
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Interesting.... :roll: I mean, I guess women do still cook these days..... :lol: Okay, I'd better shut up before I get in trouble, I think my woman may have signed up on this forum. :D

In all seriousness, I think it's great to see someone willing to do these, I'm sure there are plenty people who would love a wa-handle like that.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:06 pm 

with red, that would look a little bit like bacon....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hmmm...bacon colored handles...you may be on to something!!! :)

I am doing a simple lockback knife kit with the pink camo as well as a Fujiwara 150mm petty. I will post pics :)

The nice thing is between doing this pink block and the blue Water Camo blocks, I've gotten a much better hand on the whole color, contrast and patterning of this stuff. May do some purple, lots more blues, maybe some teal or aqua, or reds. I can do pretty much whatever colors I can get in a pale and medium version. Dark stuff tends to turn very dark, especially if the material is thick like denim. Thinner tends to hold the color better, but can turn more translucent. It's been a lot of fun playing with this stuff lately!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:22 am 
Site Admin

Not bad. They kind of have a marble look to them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:48 am 

post a finished product for us

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:05 am 

i love them! definitely makes for a custom handle. anyone else in the kitchen steals my knife and even plans to sell it, noone's ever gonna claim it's theirs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:58 am 
Forum Moderator

LOL. True! That's one good thing about distinctive handles; it's hard to say "oops, I grabbed yours instead of mine, they all look alike!" I don't work in a kitchen, but I guess people like to grab other peoples knives, especially if they messed up theirs or know that someone keeps theirs sharper than they do.

I got the Water Camo, Pink Camo and a Green/Brown/Khaki traditional Camo and I can add blaze orange to the traditional camo in my line up so far. Next is a red/black/grey camo. This pink block will be side cut for 2 scales for a 6" VG-10 Damascus chefs knife. After that, I have to do a small pocket knife from the same block, not sure if it will be side or top cut. I prefer the looks of the top cut (wide side) since it's more random. The side cut of the block is more wavy in figure and will go nicely with the Damascus pattern.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:27 am 
Forum Moderator

Peppermint Wave Camo:

It's on a 6" chef knife (pretty much a 150mm Petty) from Jantz with VG-10 core steel, stainless damascus outside. The Wave camo is when I cut the block from the side. Regular Camo will be when I cut it from the top like I did on the Deba. I prefer the regular Camo myself.

I picked up a 6 ton shop press and had 2 heavy duty molds and press plates made and bought $250 worth of fabric today. Gonna start cranking out handle blocks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:03 am 

love your handles man, there amazing!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next