It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: culinary school anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:03 am 

Yeah, CMC is no joke. Its 8 days straight of 12 hour days of testing with several chefs watching your every move. You're also looking at about $8000 per attempt. The majority of people who take the test don't even finish, let alone pass it. On the plus side, if you do pass it's EXTREMELY prestigious in the culinary world and pretty much a guaranteed 6 figure salary.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:07 am 

thank you for confirming this. at least some people know this. i am actually training for this

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:30 am 
Forum Moderator

I think the prestigiousness and pay have been over stated. Sure its impressive, but unless you want to work for a hotel or a larger corporation it doesn't matter that much. No person walking into a restaurant cares if you have a CMC or not. It might help you get a job, but very few chefs or cooks make six figures.

There are plenty of great chefs who haven't tried to get the CMC because their are more important things to do, like run their restaurant.

It is hard work, it is impressive, but it probably will not change your career over night. If you are the type of person who can get a CMC it probably doesn't matter if you have the label or not, unless you work for the type of company that really does care.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:38 pm 

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I know of at least 5 master chefs in the state of Michigan. I know for a fact at least 4 of them make over 100k a year as instructors. The 5th works at a hotel down near the Detroit area, but I don't know what he makes. I know the hotel paid for him to go though. I also know of a pastry chef that works at a country club about an hour north of me that makes about 96k a year. I don't think she is a master chef though. Making 100k a year in this state is huge. The cost of living here is much, much lower than alot of places. Making 100k in places like California or New York shouldn't be that far out of the box. It takes a crap ton of hard work, instruction under an accomplished chef, and probably a little bit of luck to be sure.

Sure, the vast majority of cooks/chefs are lucky to make 40k a year. But the vast majority of cooks don't put in the kind of sweat equity that a CMC has. The guy that works down in Detroit mastered every single recipe in Escoffier's cook book before he felt ready to attempt it. That's 100s of recipes, many of which are quite involved. Not to mention we're talking like 62 CMCs in the entire country. It seems pretty prestigious to me.

I suppose "guaranteed" may be a slight exaggeration, but I think sometimes people knit pick over words used on a forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:37 am 
Forum Moderator

Malbidion wrote: - "I suppose "guaranteed" may be a slight exaggeration, but I think sometimes people knit pick over words used on a forum."

BIDION <> Amid textual communication, all we have are words...

jsq1222 wrote: - "they wear them to be professional in front of these judges... it's a real journey.

JSQ <> We wear them to protect the foods we prepare from falling hair & dripping perspiration. We wear them to designate rank. We wear them to uphold tradition...

...then we grow up & realize material does not make a Chef; the proverbial blood, sweat & tears do. I'm sorry, but if Salty's quip rattles your cage, leaving you jumping on the defensive... LONG HARD ROAD FOR YOU, I FEAR. Enjoy your journey...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Saltydog wrote:Got to love those hats.

Everytime I've been to your restaurant I've seen you wearing one. :lol:

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:20 am 
Forum Moderator

;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:41 am 

well to my defense, becoming a CMC is more than just money and prestige. It is a sense of accomplishment and seeing if your cooking can do the talking or not. It is a personal test which then you can prove to yourself which more important than proving others that you are a great chef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:43 am 

i think if you love what you do professionally then money is not much of a problem because it will follow you

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:44 am 

[quote="Malbidion"]Yeah, CMC is no joke.

Page 3 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next