It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:27 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Where to go next?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:09 pm 

I totally sweat that Saji. I like my gyutos pointy (Masamoto, Ikeda). Looking forward to Bikeman's comparison of those two, btw.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:11 pm 

I must say that I too thoroughly enjoy my Masamoto KS.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:12 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:Fantastic collection. My wish list is your list of knives you own, plus the ones you mentioned below.

I know that Fujiwara Nashiji is trending well on the forum right now.

I know many people are of the opinion if you are a knife nut, you should have/use a Takeda at some point.

I have the Anryu Hammered 240mm gyuto and it is my personal favorite right now. It is a mid-weight, workhorse type knife. It performs very well, has great feel, and exudes character. Generally compared with the Masakage Yuki line.

I might turn you away from the Kohetsu. The Kohetsu is, dollar for dollar, a stunning performer, but you have experience with the knives the Kohetsu is intended to emulate for a lesser cost.

Sounds like a fun quest :)

My anryu hammered suji is the current favorite. Tons of character and great feel in the hand. Just a truly unique-looking blade that functions very, very well. The knifemaker also makes knives for Masakage (Kumo and Mizu lines). Fit and finish are some of the nicest I have seen (eased spine and choil, beautiful radius at choil/tang). I don't know if it is a true workhorse by my (limited) vocabulary, but it is *definitely* more towards that than the other way (say, a thin/light laser).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:50 pm 

Yes, I have been eyeing the Masamoto KS gyuto for quite some time due to the iconic shape of the knife. Having a flatter profile, I do wander how it would compare to my fujiyama which has quite a belly on it for rock cutting. Those other knives you posted Melampus are absolutely gorgeous. It hard to decide if I want to jump on the Masamoto KS which has the white steel I know and love but totally different profile. Then again do I want to try the steel R-2 in two different possible flavors (Tanaka & Saji). Has anyone had experience with the Tanaka ironwood series or the Saji?

As a note, Honyaki Knives have always been on my list every since I lost a bid on ebay for an Ittosai Honyaki gyuto. Only sold for $475. Too expensive to buy full price right now (around the 1K area) but would absolutely buy one later on. Never personally saw one or used one but I have a feeling it would be epic (more or less).

Have any of you guys had experience using a funayuki? and compared that to using a petty? I ask because I usually grab my petty when on the line.

Also a Takeda would be a nice knife to try out as well but I really don't really like his tall gyutos, I may try his slicer or smaller knives at one point. My sous chef has a bunka and a funayuki, loves them but he has this policy to never bring them to work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

I use my Yamashin funy more than a petty. I can chop up veggies with it, trim and slice down steaks, etc with it easier than I can with a petty because there is knuckle clearance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

You also lack a knife with powdered steel.

Perhaps find something with a nice powdered steel that interests you. Tanaka R2, wait for the HAP40 knives to come out.....something like that.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:08 pm 

The Hap40 knives are not coming are they?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

What, what did I miss?????

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:04 pm 

Umberto wrote:The Hap40 knives are not coming are they?

Two weeks. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:28 am 

So I have decided to take the saji r-2, mostly cause it's powdered steel which I have no experience with and because the profile does seem interesting. I am happy to try it out and give you my input on it. Another thing is that my budget allows me something in the 150 range. I'm thinking maybe the fujiwara 150mm petty because I never experienced a fujiwara and a fellow line cook is thinking about a really good petty (maybe I could sell it to him). Maybe try out the tanaka sesiko instead or should I say to hell with it and wait to try the voodoo steel (HAP40) kohetsu. I'm open to opinions.

Also on that note I also was wondering maybe something for sharpening instead? I own a shapton glass set (500,1k,4k) shapton classic (2k,8k) and balsa wood w/.5 micron paste, and plain horse butt.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2