It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Overwhelming
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:23 pm 

Talking to knife newbies
KISS Keep it Simple stupid right?
You gotta ask them what they do in the kitchen. Stainless is probably gonna be the choice 90 plus percent of the time.
Ask them how big their cutting board is, no sense recommending a 240 if they have small boards.
Do they like a heavy blade?
Male or female? A lot of women do quite well with a Santoku.
Basically ask questions, eliminate the bad choices, and come up with the solution.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:27 pm 

Ha ha, Adam I've gone into a local Sur La Table and left the guy that came over to the knives searching for answers. Surprised he didn't know too much about their cutlery, perhaps the normal person was not there.

I cleared up a little about steels for them earlier today, they are just browsing right now as they await their tax return.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:35 pm 

I always feel strange when I know more about the knives than the owners of the local knife shop when I go in. It can make you feel.....unwelcome somehow, haha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:16 am 

I generally assume stainless, and ask people what size/shape knife they use most often. I tend to find people have one knife or one size of knives they use for 95% of things. So I start with finding something else in that shape, and try to keep it simple. With people who are more interested I'll bring up other options.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:47 am 

One of my classmates has been asking for guidance in buying a first knife. I tried to keep it simple but after a couple of minutes she had that glazed over look in her eyes and she interrupted me mid-sentence and said "I know! Why don't you just pick a knife for me, tell me why it would be a good knife for me and I'll buy that one."

Pretty sure I succeeded at overwhelming her.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:01 am 

I will nerd out instantly. Anyone over here at Mise en Place, that has a question, gets sent directly to me. All the standard questions w/given answers. They will even wait until I make a purchase to find out exactly what I'm talking about. In fact, the chef goofed on me today when we were talking, calling me the pied piper and that Mark should give me a commission, I just laughed and shook it off :D , because He's, gonna end up getting the Kono270FunyEbonyHD, after being around mine for the past 2 weeks. (Don't quote me on that Mark, but He did make the image of that knife his screen saver.) :lol:
Even some other chefs hear in Tampa have called me and asked about where I get my knives. I always send'em here.
One time in conversation, I started rifling off all the names of my knives to one particular chef and he turned to his sous and said "I think Bobby just cursed me out in Japanese." :D
Mark, puh-leeze hold a Teruyasu240 for me, I'll be placing my order once my direct deposit clears around 1:40 a.m. Friday, the 28th. :D

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2