It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: I need a chef knife with good edge retention
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:29 pm 

Thank you very much for your help. I am now having a hard time choosing between Wusthof classic and Artifex.

@Josh: Thanks for the recommendation. I am considering this knife, looks like the price is very reasonable that makes me happy. Thank you for the compliments I am adept at honing straight razors but that is a totally different thing. those blades have spines and you keep them flat on the stone. sharpening knives is different because you need to freehand the angle at all times.

@Burkercutlery: Thanks for the recommendation. I am not sure how to remove the burr edge. on straight razors a wire edge happens only if the honer is inexperienced and over hones an edge, then the wire edge breaks off and creates a toothy edge which is not appropriate for shaving, blade has to be re-honed.
Yes it was 2 or 3 meals and although the knife is still sharp, it can't shave arm hair anymore. it is a cheap knife though I am not sure if it is my fault or the steel is not good.

I wish the Artifex came with interesting japanese handle.

Thanks
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:52 pm 

Dan as far as knives go I would SERIOUSLY consider giving the Artifex a try over the Wusthof. The edge holding of the Artifex will blow the wusthof away as will the ease of cutting due to the blade profile.

As for sharpening it's not easy to learn to be incredible at it but if you follow some of the vids ( I can reccomend some that really helpded me) and such it fairly easy to get started and become competent.

Josh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:12 pm 

Maybe it wasn't a wire edge, maybe just high standards on your part, which is a good thing.

You remove the burr by just lightly cutting into cork or rock hard felt. A kitchen edge is not, and should never be, as polished as a straight razor. The teeth are a good thing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:49 am 
Forum Moderator

There is a customized Artifex at CKTG with a Maple Burl handle: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riarcuha.html

The Artifex will blow away the Wustoff, Henkels, etc hands down. Lighter weight, no bolster, easier to sharpen up because of the lack of metal bolster that goes down to the edge, thinner blade will cut easier. There is just no comparison!

I have 4 more Artifex's that I am working on as well, all Western style handles with Burl for handle material.

I could try a Wa style handle conversion; I think I have an extra Artifex I bought around here somewhere I could try it on. I usually do an oval shape handle and not the D shape or Octagon handle though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:01 pm 

Thanks very much for recommendation! Artifex it is then.
I also saw the Tojiro Shirogami Nakiri which is only $50 should I purchase that as well?

do the Artifex knives come with japanese handle?

Thanks
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:51 pm 

edit:
I really like the looks of Richmond Ultimatum and I prefer it over the Artifex, is it as good as artifex in terms of performance? if yes then I want to buy the Artifex. I am also going to by the Idahone ceramic rod to help me.

Thank you for helpful opinions everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Tanaka Kurouchi Nakiri or the Tojiro Shirogamo Nakiri are great values at $50; they perform on par with one of my $150 Nakiri's I have. They are carbon, so they will patina with use.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:50 pm 

Thanks guys, the Tojiro Shirogami nakiri arrived yesterday. out of the box it was not sharp, but I reset the bevel on Norton 1k, then sharpened it on Norton 4k and 8k.
took a nice edge. easily shaves my arm hair. (not exactly as smooth as a straight razor, but that is becaues the angle is not AS precise with the freehanded knife as with a straight razor).

feels great in hand. I cut lemons, grapefruit, tomatoes, chopped garlic, cucumber with it. I am very impressed, I just have to see how long it keeps its edge.

I just love how I can cut grapefruit . the knife is so sharp that there is 0 squashing. it cuts the fruit `cells` clean without any squishing and letting go of juices. it creates sharp edges when I cut the grapefruit in 8 wedges. incredible.

I make sure to wash and wipe the blade dry after use like the care I give to my carbon straight razors.

I don`t mind touching this knife up on Norton 8k every 3 days to keep up the hair popping sharpness.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:36 pm 

As many others suggested, I would have gone with the Richmond Knife, however, keep us posted on how you like the Tojiro.

Bread - Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife
Chef - Shun Premier 8" Chef Knife
Nakiri - Sakai Takayuki Damascus 160mm Nakiri
Petty - Konosuke HH Stainless 150mm Wa-Petty
Paring - Tojiro DP 90mm Paring Knife

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:48 am 

Thanks for the recommendation.

I did not buy the Tojiro to rule out the Richmond knife. this thread is still open. I figured that no matter what, I should buy a carbon steel knife (not high carbon stainless, not stainless clad, pure carbon knife).

now the reason I am holding back on buying the Richmond Artifex is because I can use the Tojiro in action for a few weeks and tell you guys what I do and don't like about it. and then you can give me some really good suggestion.

The Tojiro already holding its edge better than the Henckels and I like the fact that it is flat, so chopping and cutting by drawing the blade towards me is more effective than the curved Henckels. I never use a rocking motion to chop veggies.

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next