It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:37 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New coarse stone for lineup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:49 pm 

I'm down to about 7 or 8mm with my Latte stone, and while I like its feel, speed, and finish, it has worn too fast for my liking. I'm thinking I'll replace it with something else.

For whatever reason I'm not inclined to go Beston 500. Feel like I have heard it wears quickly too, and doesn't have as smooth of a finish.

Shapton pro 320 gets some good reviews but you get so little stone and that concerns me. I understand that the Shaptons wear slow but with how much less stone you get it's hard to see it outlasting the Latte.

I seem to be drawn to the Nubatama Ume 320 because I would get twice as much stone, but there is very little feedback on this stone and I seem to get mixed impressions on this line. If anybody has used it I'd be interested in your experience. I really can't explain what makes me prefer this one to the other stones in this range by nubatama, I'm just drawn to it.

I'm open to other suggestions, and would appreciate any advice I can get. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: New coarse stone for lineup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:07 pm 

How often do you use your coarse stone, and on what types of knives/steels etc? Are you thinning, sharpening, repairs?

Mowgs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Here's a review - other than mine

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:02 pm 

Mowgface- I generally use it to thin and make bevel changes if they are substantial. I will use it in repairs as a second step to a DMT plate. It is used primarily on stainless steels, AEB-l, 19c27, Ginsan3, an AUS8 folder, and unfortunately a zdp189 folder that is probably largely responsible for the rapid wearing of the Latte. Also two semi-stainless and a Blue1 and white2. I use it far less often than my medium and fine stones, but still several times a month, as I am a sharpening obsessive.

Ken- Thanks, I watched that and read that user's full review online, I guess looking for some more varied input from some of the users on here. I know I will likely only get a few reviews at most as it is no where near as common as some of the other coarse stones. Just hoping I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:17 pm 

I use the Shapton pro 320 and it doesn't wear as fast as you might think. I've never used the Latte so I don't know how fast it dishes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:11 pm 

If your interested in going with the pro i would get the 220 much slower wearing than the 320 , faster too.

Im sure you can find something in the nubatama lineup to suit your needs. If your doing heavy repairs often then i would be looking at the 60 grit. It doesnt wear at all hardly. Pair that with a 150 nubatama ajd you will have a great tag team.

Or theres the 140 atoma and 150 nubatama combination.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:29 pm 

I just think most of those options are far coarser than I need. I rarely let my knives get that far out of shape, and I would prefer to have a scratch pattern that I can clean up relatively easily with my Bester 1200. I'm trying to keep in the 320-500 range. Like I said, the Latte cuts plenty fast, and I like the finish a lot, it just has worn quickly. Looking for something that either doesn't wear quite as quickly, or gives me more stone so it doesn't matter if it wears this fast. If I start doing more sharpening for other people, I'll probably want to pick up something lower and will turn to the stones you recommend. In an ideal world I'd pick up a Latte brick, without paying twice the money. In the non fantasy world, I'm trying to figure out what my other options are. I am leaning toward the Ume 320 I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:43 am 

I'll throw the Chosera 400 in, it's similar to the latte for speed but probably the slowest wearing coarser stone I have used. It's thick with a smooth feel and is splash-n-go.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:49 am 

I was just going to mention the Chosera 400, Jason beat me to it.
I love it, would buy another one without hesitation.

Shapton Glass 320 is another very useful stone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:54 am 
Site Admin

I really like the nubatama 150 and above that the latte and the chosera 400 are both good ones. The beston cuts well and is easy to use but it wears quickly and it needs a long soak. It's still our best selling low grit stone.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next