It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: honing problems on a Dovo carbon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:56 pm 

Last night I got frustrated and took the spine to the stones to try to even that out. I figured since the spine is basically a built in honing guide, if I straightened that, maybe the edge would come together. Didn't seem to work out. I can't get a section, about 25%, about 25% in from the toe (if that makes any sense) to reach an apex. It must eventually apex if I keep grinding, I mean high spots will wear, low spots would finally make stone contact, maybe I just need a coarse stone and wear it down till I have even contact. What I might do it tape the spine, so that there is less surface area in contact with the stone at the bevel and see if I can reach an edge that way.

As far as stones flatness, I take my DMT Extra Coarse to each stone before I use the stone.

None the less, it's possible it is a stone flatness problem.

It's possible my honing technique is shit.

It's possible the blade is somehow defective (I am going to assume it is me, I am far more often defective than most things :))

It's possible that I simply need to spend enough time on a coarser stone to reach a consistent bevel and edge.

But I am stumped how to begin narrowing down my troubleshooting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:59 pm 

BTW, I appreciate everyone's help. If I sound at all dismissive or short, it is just my frustration coming through, but you guys are great. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:36 am 

http://straightrazorplace.com/honing/107476-ti-le-dandy-honing-headache.html

I just saw this last night. Seems like a great (easy) way to check the spine

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:39 am 

Thats a brilliant idea, thanks for bringing it to my attention Chris. It late now, but I will be finding some glass and giving this a go tomorrow. At least it'll let me eliminate warpage as a cause.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:15 am 

No problem! I was shocked at the simplicity of it as well and up until last night had never heard of that particular 'test'

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:51 pm 

From what I can see with the test, the blade is getting light contact in the places where the edge seems relatively untouched by the stones. So it looks like I am getting contact across the entire edge, but it is not consistent contact. Don't really know what to make of that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:54 pm 

Taped the spine and honed from 800 to 8k. Got sharp enough to shave. The toe and heel were actually very comfortable. The middle was crap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:08 pm 

Ok so I think I am making some progress.

I ground the spine with the 800 grit King until I had a flat, consistent width grind path on the spine.

I then added one layer of electrical tape then honed the razor through the entire progression 800, 1200, 4k, 6k, 8k, then stropped on balsa with 1 micron diamond spray and balsa with 1/2 micron diamond spray. It was one of the better shaves I have had recently.

I can see the bevel is still somewhat inconsistent but I think I am getting better contact on the stones now so I hope this will correct with the next honing session. I just ordered a new 1k stone from Ken and when it arrives I will try to reestablish the bevel anew in hopes I can get a nice consistent bevel all the way across.

For the first time in about 5 weeks, clean shaven...YAY!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:07 am 

Congrats! I've had a couple troublesome blades in the past. Sometimes its just best to set it down and walk away for a few... Glad to see you overcame your problems! :)

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:14 am 

Well, I hope you get it worked out to your satisfaction.

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next