It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:03 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Where to go next?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:05 pm 

So I have been a frequent shopper of chefknivestogo, having most of my knifes from the site. I am really into knives but was wondering where to go from there.

Knives that purchased:
Konosuke W#2 270 sujihiki
Konosuke HH 270 sujihiki (Sold)
Konosuke Fujiyama W#2 240 gyuto
Moritaka 165 petty (Gift)
Masakage Yuki 150 petty
Masakage Shimo 210 gyuto
Goko Damascus 210 (Sold)
Goko Hammered Damascus (Sold)
Gesshin Uraku 180 Deba
Richmond Artifex 165 Honesuki
Hattori VG10 270 Gyuto

I have the urge not to collect knives per se but to try out different makers, knife types, brands, and steel types. I been scouring the forums lately and it seems there are a few knife brands that pop up frequently. Those seems to be the Fujiwara Nashiji, Tanaka sekiso, Richmond AS laser, Kohetsu, Takamura, Konosuke, Takeda and Anryu. I have been using my petty a lot since its such a nimble knife for the line, the funayuki knives really interest me and so does the thought of a 210 petty. Since I love me Yuki, stainless clad knives are also a peak interest. My most beloved is hands down my Kono sujihiki, which makes me wonder can i justify another sujihiki? Maybe longer?

If you could give me input for a future knife nut.

Post subject: Re: Where to go next?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:39 pm 

Fantastic collection. My wish list is your list of knives you own, plus the ones you mentioned below.

I know that Fujiwara Nashiji is trending well on the forum right now.

I know many people are of the opinion if you are a knife nut, you should have/use a Takeda at some point.

I have the Anryu Hammered 240mm gyuto and it is my personal favorite right now. It is a mid-weight, workhorse type knife. It performs very well, has great feel, and exudes character. Generally compared with the Masakage Yuki line.

I might turn you away from the Kohetsu. The Kohetsu is, dollar for dollar, a stunning performer, but you have experience with the knives the Kohetsu is intended to emulate for a lesser cost.

Sounds like a fun quest :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:57 pm 

I'd go with Fuji or a Takeda... get a knife with character

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 am 

If you just want to try different makers all of the ones you listed are fantastic choices.

If you want to deviate from you have tried in the past. I would pass on the AS laser, too similar to the Yuki. Anryu I haven't handled, but I don't think it's much of a departure either. You have already tried Kono HH and Fujiyama, there are different steel flavors, but there isn't a big difference between them. Takamura would be different in that it is made of R2 and western handled. Tanaka Sekiso is ground different from anything you have tried.

If you really want something completely different, Takeda's gyutos should definitely be on your list if the height doesn't deter you. Not on your list, but what about a true Honyaki? Differentially heat treated blades have a unique feed back. Someone once used the analogy a Honyaki is like a sports car suspension you feel every little pump and fiber being cut. Other knives are like Cadillacs they feel nice and smooth, but you aren't as in tune with the pumps or fibers being cut. I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, but there is some truth in it as well. They do come with a price tag though :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:52 am 

If the budget is there I'd be all over the Fujiwara Nashiji 240mm gyuto. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/funa24gyocha.html

teruyasu-240-gyuto-t4963.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:03 am 

Try a slightly different profile, check out the Masamoto KS or the Ikeda 250. The KS blade is a little longer and has less rocker than typical 240 gyutos. They are great push cutters and have a thinner Funiyuki type tip. It is a versatile blade that can slice like a suji or chop like a gyuto. I have been using the Masamoto for a while it is a classic and one of my favorites. The Ikeda is very similar except in AS steel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:43 am 

"Try a slightly different profile, check out the Masamoto KS or the Ikeda 250."

This is good idea. My Ikeda is cutlery eye candy. I believe Bikeman has both these now, perhaps he can chime in with a head to head comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:45 am 
Forum Moderator

AZN <> The Masamoto<--link is a great idea as it is a copied icon for a reason... it is a timeless classic. It is a monosteel Shironiko, and it resides in the light middleweight category. The additional length is really helpful, and I wish I used mine more. If you do purchase one, I suggest you notate the comment box to cherry pick one closest to the height of your preference. I believe the site abstractly cites a 46.5mm height in references to the KS. While mine comes in exactly there, BIKEMAN just recently purchased his w/a 49mm height. Those few mm make a difference, and I would surely choose 49 over 46.5 if I had the option.

That said, you do already have W#2 so you might consider one of the PM steel gyutos on the menu. You have an interest in the Aoniko Sekiso; have you looked at their PM steel line<--link? I have not used these "ironwoods" & am not familiar with their grind, but it's worth mention.

I will add, hesitantly, my current target is the Saji R2<--link. From the pictures, that is a dreamy profile. I do not have it yet so I can't speak specifics, but for someone like yourself who is interested in more a "funayuki" style taper, the Saji looks to be a better fit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:04 am 
Forum Moderator

I can fill you in on the Tanaka R2 Damascus line when it arrives on Weds!! The Saji R2 looks nice as well and pointy like a KS or Funy. I did do a saya for a Saji suji way back when, very nice edge on that sucker, but some report the edges aren't sharp OOTB all of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm 

Cedarhouse: I have the Ikeda on order and i should receive it Thursday. After I get to play around with it a while I will post how it compares to the Masamoto. Wow !The new Tanaka and Saji in R-2 steel look impressive. I have the Kamo in the same R-2 steel and it is tough stuff with great edge holding. I was surprised how easy it is to touch up and sharpen for a higher hardness steel. Same steel is used in the Takamura 210 that has been getting a lot of good reviews. BB

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next