It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Need handle recomendation for Goko Damsacus 210mm
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:46 am 

I didn't mind the Goko W#1 handle at first. That one is slowly bothering me, first the plastic ferrule but also the weight/density as I use it more. So far I like the one on the damascus more, as its weight just seems to match the lighter blade. I will probably do a ferrule-replacement eventually but I'll probably keep the chestnut for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:28 pm 

I don't have a problem with the stock handle either. While I would prefer a horn ferrule the texture of the chestnut is fine and it is a generous handle. I may make one for it though, or upgrade the ferrule when I free up some time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:13 pm 

Jeff B wrote:I thought ho wood handles were cheesy until I bought a Goko with that Chestnut handle, that thing is true garbage.

LMAO!

I held a very similar looking burnt chesnut handle, didn't like the feel at all. Ho wood, I find is just a handle, it's not meant to look good or feel good. Just something to hang on to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:04 am 

:oops: I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually like the Goko chestnut handle. I will likely replace the ferrule at some point, but not in any rush. However, I really really really dislike the ho wood handle that came on the original offering of the Goko Damascus. Feels completely wrong in every aspect to me.

Would I buy it again knowing I wouldn't like the handle? Absolutely, it's still a great deal, but I would have had it shipped directly to a custom handle maker to save me postage rather than taking her out of the box, saying not for me, and sending her off ;)

I guess this thread just shows how personal paradigms play into handle preferences.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:48 pm 

Lightly sand that ho wood handle and coat it with tru-oil and it will change your opinion about it.

Those Chestnut handles with that g-d awful plastic ferrule still suck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:51 pm 

Already sanded and oiled(mineral oil)... still not for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:38 pm 

Why not check out the knife handles section of our forum? There you can see examples of several excellent handle makers. Maybe you will see a handle you like there. You have many choices now, I browse if from time to time and there is plenty of Wow Factor!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:58 pm 

I have that same knife, & I am thinking of a new handle as well. When you get yours done, make sure you post some pictures it may help me decide,

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2