It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Goko Damascus 240mm Gyuto Review
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:21 am 

taz575 wrote:For gaps, do you guys mean between the handle/tang or between the ferrule/chestnut handle? if the handle/tang gap, I may be able to do a little photo WIP for you guys to fill it; it's very easy!

I mean handle/tang. I was thinking I would just fill it with wax or something. I'm not in love with the resin/plastic ferrule either.

Actually, Taz, you were the first person to come to mind about this knife to do some work on it, but, I'm not sure that I am going to keep it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:27 am 
Forum Moderator

Yup, melting wax in there would work, or some 5 minute epoxy in the gap to fill it in and seal it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:18 am 

Would squirting in glue from a glue gun work?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

That should work Rayong to seal it! Is glue gun glue waterproof? If not, it may come out eventually after several washings of the knife with hot water. The JB Kwik Weld is thick and waterproof and sets up quickly, but isn't very removeable. 30 minute 2 part epoxy or a 5 minute waterproof epoxy work well, but are thinner, so when you fill the gap, the epoxy will seep down into the handle/wood more, so you may have to do it a few times to get the epoxy flush with the ferrule.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:04 pm 

Glue gun glue is waterproof but it's not very durable. Ie it dislodges easily. But then it depends on how far it gets down the hole. It comes of cleanly though so when it's time to rehandle, its easy to get out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:49 pm 

rayong wrote:Glue gun glue is waterproof but it's not very durable. Ie it dislodges easily. But then it depends on how far it gets down the hole. It comes of cleanly though so when it's time to rehandle, its easy to get out.

I would skip glue gun glue as it doesnt really adhere to anything. If you want a permanent seal go with some NON-gel epoxy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:01 pm 

I got mine a few days ago and thought the sharpness OTB was good, honed it on a ceramic rod, and it was good to go. Went through an onion and a pound of mushrooms real good with minimal sticking. For the price I think it can't be beat. I don't particularly care for the handle though, a bit too fat, and the tang has gaps around it in the ferrule. Using a pinch grip worked fine, but I just shipped mine off to Matt for a rehandling anyway, looking forward to getting it back.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:13 am 

It isn't practical but experimental scalpels have been made of it.
I've seen some "caveman" knives made of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:26 am 

rayong wrote:How well does it sharpen compared to a carbon knife? 19c27 is supposed to have large carbides and these limit how sharp the knife can get.

Sorry? It's not. Of the stainless steels, it's got some of the smallest carbides. That's why it is so popular in kitchen knives.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:57 am 

Think you're referring to 13c26 also known as AEB-L. 19C27 is larger carbide. However, having said that I find it takes a fairly nice edge.

http://www.smt.sandvik.com/en/products/ ... vik-19c27/

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3