It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:13 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Non-Shapton plash n go stones?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:06 am 

Here's the whole spiel. I apologize if I've broken any forum rules by posting this but I believe all of the involved parties are friends. (Never a sure bet in the knife world.)

http://jendeindustries.wordpress.com/20 ... ss-series/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:17 am 
Forum Moderator

Great link Rick! Interesting info.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:47 am 

mark wrote:
Tall Dark and Swarfy wrote:If I have Emma Watson waiting at home for me I'm not gonna be booty calling Roseanne Barr. Just sayin'!
That is too funny :lol:

I thought the cracking issue was limited to the Chosera stones for the edge pro, no? ...$100 a stone and cracking issues gives me reason for pause. :?

It is definitely more prevalent with the EP stones probably because of them being thin but there have been some random reports of this happening with full sized stone too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:49 am 

Tall Dark and Swarfy wrote:Here's the whole spiel. I apologize if I've broken any forum rules by posting this but I believe all of the involved parties are friends. (Never a sure bet in the knife world.)

http://jendeindustries.wordpress.com/20 ... ss-series/

Good read. All I can add is in real world use they all work great on both carbon and stainless regardless of "formulated for". And yes, I believe we are all friends here too! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:56 am 

I love me my shapton pro's!
I do want to include a few nubatamas down the road but hell I have thousands of dollars or more knives to buy don't I? if I get one of everything on the site hmmm how much that goonna be mark> well sir I think ill just go on vacation> lol a dreamers life.... when I do win that lottery mr Richmond I promise to spend the most with you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:52 am 
Site Admin

If you hit the lottery you can buy my business and have them all. lol

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:01 pm 

Jeff said Quote: This is just me thinking out loud but it has become popular for people to soak their Choceras before using them and I think that has contributed to the perceived recent increase in cracking reports. Naniwa recommends against permasoaking so maybe the over soaking can cause trouble too. To many soaking and drying cycles for the stone to handle. The stones soak up much less water when just splashing as needed.

Jeff is right on the money. I read different reports on several forums of the Chosera stones cracking and breaking and it is my humble opinion that the problems were from misuse. One guy posts how he soaks the stone for 30 minutes or longer and everyone follows without knowing what is right or wrong. You have to watch who you take advice from and do your own research.

When I was looking at getting a good set of stones I did a bunch of research on them. I read all the cracking reports and was almost scared away from them. Glad I did my research and came to the conclusion that it was most likely user error. I have no experience with any other stones...but I will say that the Chosera stones are fast cutting, have excellent feedback and wear resistance. They create a nice amount of mud very quickly and are just a pleasure to use. The 5000 stone has a smooth creamy feel to it and it leaves a mirror finish. It is softer then the 400 and 1000 grit stones so you have to be careful with it. But by the time you are on the 5000 you are just perfecting the edge and not putting a lot of pressure on it. I love these stones. My stones after more than a year of light to moderate use look like the day they arrived. I haven't even had to flatten them since I received them. I checked the flatness when they arrived and smoothed the edges and haven't put the diamond plate to them since. Which reminds me I need to check them to make sure they are still good to go.

I try to use the whole stone when I sharpen as to not wear the middle out or dish the stone. If these stones continue to wear at the rate they are....which is minimal....I will have these for the rest of my life. I use my stones like splash and go stones and do not soak them at all. Just like concrete gets weak when too much water is added I think the same thing applies to some stones. The surface of concrete will crack and craze from too much water just like these stones will. Maybe not exactly the same thing but the results are the same.

Below is what the manufacture recommends.

IMPORTANT NOTE on storage and lubrication: Chosera sharpening stones are bound with magnesium and so have more cutting particles per unit of surface than resin-bound stones. But magnesium-bound stones are much more sensitive to prolonged exposure to water as other types of stones. So Chosera stones should NOT be left to soak in water for prolonged periods and must be stored dry. If this advice is not followed the stones can develop hairline cracks or the binding material can be leached out of the stone. It is more than enough to pour a little water on the surface or briefly dip the stones in water, they do not need to be soaked. If you are not sure that you can keep this always in mind, perhaps because you have a number of different kinds of sharpening stones, it may be better to opt for the more tolerant Super Stones.

Dave.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2