It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:59 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Just bought some Wusthof knives (Sharpening tips)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:25 am 

Hey guys

Just bought the creme block set of the classic ikon series and also the 9 inch chefs cooks knife.

Can you help me with ideas on whats good to hone them?

Then when they still can't be sharp enough from honing... something to sharpen them with?

I do have the idahone rod but not sure if its the right tool for the job?

Thanks guys

Post subject: Re: Just bought some Wusthof knives (Sharpening tips)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:30 pm 

This is the stone of choice for German steel. The green brick. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naao2kgrbr.html. You will eventually need a coarser stone to go with this, such a the latte 400. Since your knives are new you won't have to reset the bevel for awhile. So for freehand sharpening, the green brick is what you want to finish on. The honing rod will work for maintenance if that's what your comfortable with. However, eventually you will have to take them to the stones and you will find the edge from the green brick to be much better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:16 pm 

So glad i came here to ask!

Because in the shop i got them from the lady was suggesting a diamong sharpening rod. I would have thought its too coarse to hone with that, surely?

If i can just use the idahone and green brick then thats great!

Then im all set?

Thanks for your quick reply.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:41 pm 

Since your knives are new and sharp, you can use the idahone to realign the edge if you like using that. You can also strop your knife lightly on the green brick. (Light edge trailing strokes). When these techniques do not bring the knife back to a desired sharpness anymore, honing is the next step. This is subjective since everyone is different. If the knives get dull to the point of needing to reset the bevel, you will need to start with a coarser stone first the latte 400 is a good choice.http://www.chefknivestogo.com/la400grst.html use this followed by the green brick to finish on. You will also want something to flatten your stones with as well like a diamond plate. As for the diamond home to use directly on the knives, I would not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:56 pm 

Definitely recommend getting a diamond plate to flatten your stones, especially with those stones. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html. My green brick did not come very flat, and the latte, in my experience, needs to be flattened pretty regularly. (This is true of all stones to some extent, not a flaw, I agree that these stones are perfect for what you are sharpening.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:21 pm 

+1 to all the posts here. The Green Brick should do you for now. Add a lower grit stone and a 140 plate. The Idahone will be better than a diamond rod.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:38 am 

The Idahone is a great rod for those knives.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:38 pm 

Best tip I can give you is to never let your knives get too dull. I see people all the time let their knives become blunt. Use your hone well and be sure to sharpen as needed. Green brick will do you fine until you need to thin, get a flattening plate, hone and maybe a stone holder and you should be good to go for a while.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]