It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Stock Edge Pro stones - why suffer?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:48 pm 

Rick, that is a great blog post, I saw it before.
First of all thanks for the kind words and yes that money is time spiel is spot on. I think my case is a little different and you got me thinking.
To be perfectly clear, I am not saying the stock stones are superior to my beloved shaptons/Choseras, not saying that at all.
If I was sharping my own personal knives only, I would very like never use the stock stones but since I have so many knives to do, I just had to find a more viable solution to replacement of the stones. Also, most of the knives I do are soft so they lend themselves to the slower cutting ability of the stock stones. I have tested the edges from those stones on soft tomatoes many times as well, a 600 stock stone edge is going to surprise a lot of people.
Now having said this, it would take eternity to sharpen some knives that I get with those stones.
This is my latest approach, keep in mind that 80-90 percent of my sharpening is free hand.
-400 latte ( I cut my latte up and got 6 EP sized stones from it :) )
-400 EP
-600/1k EP finish Or - 600 EP then to my Shapton Glass 2k and a Shapton Pro 5k finish.

I often mix them up but believe me, if someone came in and stole all my EP sized stones, the first ones I would replace are my shapton stones and the Atoma.

Noneck, I cannot use an axe file and screw driver to make a knife sharp.

(Rick, you are much to kind my friend, I am no master, I am still in the early stages of my sharping journey, I learn from the folks on here, including you every day and if I seem stubborn on the Stock EP Stone thing - I'm just old thats' all, I get your point about time perfectly and agree with it).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:46 pm 

Well the thing about the stock stones is that you can stock up and have 4 or 5 spares of each and not be out hardly any money. But I've just never enjoyed the stock stones. (bearing i. mind i only have the 220 and the 400

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:08 am 

Hi!

I star to use apex 4 kit and i cant say that stock stones are not doing the job
only 120 EP stone is a bit hard yes but it will last longer i think.

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2