It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to proceed with this knife?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:57 am 

Jason B. wrote:It's not Rust it's patina DONT TOUCH IT!!!!!!

Just sharpen and return. It's soft steel so don't go past 1k or it will be dull as a butter knife after it's first use. The bevel is thick and it looks very dull so expect some time on a coarse stone.

THIS IS WHAT I SAID. DONT YOU DARE TOUCH THE PATINA. It's the knives personality and story. Sometimes there is more beauty in character than there is in shiny things.

I say sharpen that puppy up with a nice micro bevel and then give it back. Don't bother with scotch brite pads and all that junk with a knife that has a story behind it.

To reiterate if it is a family heirloom, by removing the patina, you are destroying that family heirloom.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:02 am 

Use the 220 to take out the chips and bumps, don't worry about scratch pattern vanity. Then use the 1k...finish on the 4k for a nice polished look.

If you really want to make the vintage knife have heirloom charm consider sharpening it on a vintage black arkansas stone. That would be a period correct edge.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:16 am 

May I respectfully disagree with Jason about not going beyond 1k because it's soft steel? That's perfectly true where soft stainless is concerned, with large carbides in a weak matrix. Any high polish will weaken the matrix and carbides will break out with the first scratch, as we all experience with soft stainless Germans.
With soft carbons there is no such a problem. You may go as far as you want. I maintain them with Cr2O3 at some 30 degree per side and they hold it very well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:43 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm leaning towards Jason's approach. It is a patina (good) but it does have a lot of pitting too. And very dull. And sentimental. So even with the pitting, I'd say leave the patina alone. If you grind the patina away you have a bunch of pitting staring at you. You would have to grind a lot to get to the bottom of the pitting and there goes the knife's personality.

I'd go past the 1k for the edge. Not the end of the world to use your 4k stone on it, but don't go too acute on the angles, perhaps 20 degrees per side for it to hold up.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:03 am 
Forum Moderator

I have done a few rehabs on carbon blades. Some I leave the blade as is, others I use BarKeepers Friend to remove the corrosion and some of the patina, it leaves a dull grey look to aged carbon steel, but keeps the bigger character marks. Sharpening, I usually remove chips and set the bevel with a slack belt to get a near zero convex edge and then Bester500/Latte 400, Bester 1200/Nubatama Ume 1K Medium, and strop on a leather belt laid out on the counter. You can go to a higher stone if you want, like a 2K or 4K, or a leather belt with compound, but those knives were designed for meat cutting, and like a toothier edge to them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:49 pm 

Benuser wrote:May I respectfully disagree with Jason about not going beyond 1k because it's soft steel? That's perfectly true where soft stainless is concerned, with large carbides in a weak matrix. Any high polish will weaken the matrix and carbides will break out with the first scratch, as we all experience with soft stainless Germans.
With soft carbons there is no such a problem. You may go as far as you want. I maintain them with Cr2O3 at some 30 degree per side and they hold it very well.

No disrespect but that's hog wash.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 pm 

+1 to what Jason said. I would just sharpen it. Leave metal alone. I would also oil and wax the handle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:59 am 

+1 Jason B's rec +1 Luna.

Leave the patina alone. Sharpen, but don't get psychotic about it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:35 am 

Jason B. wrote:
Benuser wrote:May I respectfully disagree with Jason about not going beyond 1k because it's soft steel? That's perfectly true where soft stainless is concerned, with large carbides in a weak matrix. Any high polish will weaken the matrix and carbides will break out with the first scratch, as we all experience with soft stainless Germans.

No disrespect but that's hog wash.

You may develop.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:23 am 

Hey guys. I just wanted to thank everyone in the thread for helping so much. I finally got around to sharpening and figured I'd share the results. I ended up leaving the patina as is, probably because I'm lazy, but officially because it tells the unique story of the knife. :) I used the edge pro. Free hand is getting better, but don't feel it's quite up to doing other people's knives. Went from 320, 500, 1k, 4k. 18*/side. Tried to be patient and find a burr. Seems pretty sharp!

Anyway, here it is. :)

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r61 ... 023a40.jpg
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r61 ... 196677.jpg

And at 400x under the microscope.

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r61 ... a954bd.jpg

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next