It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pretty much.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:07 am 

So I bought the Goko Damascus. I know, you're sick of reading about it....

Just this, This knife is basically the same knife as the Nickel Sweden Warikomi. With a bigger handle, cheaper appointments, and crappier fit and finish.
Difference.....$168.00 USD less. I will accept the flaws. lol.

Great deal on the knife, if there are still any left and you think you would like it, it isn't going to let you down. Super thin, Super light. Workably sharp.

Post subject: Re: Pretty much.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:15 am 

And to be fair the F&F on mine was decent. Handle gaps? Sure. But everything was eased, the finish was uniformly shiny though not buffed all the way to a mirror finish, and the only scratches on mine are the ones I've put there.

I don't know if you feel the same way, but I also find the handle "fits" this knife better than the W#1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:29 am 

I bought both the 210 and 240 and the fit and finish is very good on both of mine. The knife is a great value for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:46 am 

I actually thought that the handle on the Damascus should have been on the White #1 and the handle on the White #1 should have been this one that is on the Damascus. On my particular one the handle is much more rustic and would match the kurouchi on the White better.

The easing on the knife is good. The polish is fair. I just meant that, in relationship to the Kikuichi, the F+F was underwhelming, but as I mentioned, the price point for the sale was $168 less.

Performance is great, OOTB edge was good. The handle, nothing a little bee's wax can't fix. A screaming deal to be certain.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:42 pm 

What is "easing"? Is that rounding edges on spine and choil?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:10 pm 

Mark H. wrote:What is "easing"? Is that rounding edges on spine and choil?

Pretty much.

Lol, sorry, I had to.

Yes, it is. Sometimes handmade or even machined knives pay little attention to these areas to allow a buyer to instill their own preferences into the knife; like leaving the edge a little rough to allow the owner to sharpen it to prefered level. When using a pinch grip, some handlers find that a factory spine and choil and/or rough neck area affect the knives usability. It can be corrected to something gentler with sandpaper or a belt. I have never had to go through the ordeal, so my knowledge is really just in theory, rather than practice. I imagine that it is possible to go too far and expose the core on a san mai knife. But I don't think it would be easy to mess up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:59 pm 

Just tape up the blade (blue painters tape works best for me), exposing a mm or so to the spine/choil, and knock off the right angle of metal. I like emery cloth since it is more durable than sandpaper. CKTG has a video on it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:23 am 

Dan_Crubenew wrote:

Pretty much.

Lol, sorry, I had to.

Yes, it is. Sometimes handmade or even machined knives pay little attention to these areas to allow a buyer to instill their own preferences into the knife; like leaving the edge a little rough to allow the owner to sharpen it to prefered level. When using a pinch grip, some handlers find that a factory spine and choil and/or rough neck area affect the knives usability. It can be corrected to something gentler with sandpaper or a belt. I have never had to go through the ordeal, so my knowledge is really just in theory, rather than practice. I imagine that it is possible to go too far and expose the core on a san mai knife. But I don't think it would be easy to mess up.

Well the core on a san-mai will always be exposed if it's true san-mai construction.

When you hear the term rounded choil and spine that's what it refers to. Sometimes on very thin knives you won't find the spine rounded very much as there's just not enough room to work with.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:53 pm 

As much as I wanted to I could not justify picking up that Goko Damascus knife. I read up on it, it is basically a laser style knife which is great. Except last year I bought a Richmond Laser for twice the price, and I would hate to not use it.

I did however jump all over the Goko White #1 in 240MM.
A. I never have owned a white No 2 steel knife, was anxious to try one
B. I did not own a 240MM Gyuto
C. The price was right

Any time I give myself 3 good reasons to buy a new knife, or anything for that matter. Then I buy it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:37 pm 

phillysco wrote:As much as I wanted to I could not justify picking up that Goko Damascus knife. I read up on it, it is basically a laser style knife which is great. Except last year I bought a Richmond Laser for twice the price, and I would hate to not use it.

I did however jump all over the Goko White #1 in 240MM.
A. I never have owned a white No 2 steel knife, was anxious to try one
B. I did not own a 240MM Gyuto
C. The price was right

Any time I give myself 3 good reasons to buy a new knife, or anything for that matter. Then I buy it.

That white#1 is a great knife. I got one too.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]