It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 2K stones - German vs Japanese steel
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:21 pm 

In a recent thread titled "2000 grit stones", JeffB made a comment similar to other comments I've read here before --

"I had the a Green brick and it was a good stone but I just found it lacking unless you were using it on soft steels. "

It may have been JeffB who made the other comments in other threads, too, actually. I can't remember the author of each, just that it was something I had read more than once here. JeffB, what do you mean by "lacking"? Is it that the end result isn't as good as some others you've used or is it that the experience while sharpening is not enjoyable? Or something else entirely?

Everyone seems to agree that the Green Brick is the one to get for Henckels and Wusthofs and Forschner/Victorinox, but my personal focus is on maintaining properly my Japanese knives, so if I'm limited to just one 2K stone for now (and I am) I want one that'll do the J knives justice. If that stone works well on softer German steels then that's a bonus. I'm sure a 2K that is excellent on my AS, R2, and AEB-L knives will be at least good on the German steels, no?

So what are some excellent but affordable 2K stones for the steels I listed above? Some obvious candidates spring to mind --

-- Chosera -- http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nach200grshs.html
-- Shapton Pro -- http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shpro20.html
-- Shapton Glass -- http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shgl20gr.html
-- Naniwa Aotoshi Green Brick -- http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naao2kgrbr.html

and some not so obvious ones --

-- Bester -- http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bester2000.html
-- Naniwa Super Stone -- http://www.chefknivestogo.com/superstones1.html
-- Blue Aoto (synthetic) -- http://www.chefknivestogo.com/blueaoto.html

You will note I have left out the Nubatama stones. They are at this point too expensive for me to consider.

From a pure price perspective, the Bester and the Naniwa Super Stone are attractive. I know a lot of people swear by the Super Stone line, and the Bester 1200 is highly regarded, so I presume the Bester 2K would be similar. Would it make sense for me to pick up one of these for now or is it really worth it to pay double (a bit more than double) to get a Chosera?

My 1K stone is at the moment a King (don't have the funds to upgrade yet), and I plan to finish after the 2K stone with an Arashiyama 6K and strops, so anything I get needs to play nice with the Arashiyama.

Post subject: Re: 2K stones - German vs Japanese steel
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:05 pm 

The Green Brick left a nice refined edge on the softer steels I put to it, 55-58HRC. It just had a different feel to it on my carbons and hard(61+) stainless. I wasn't nearly impressed with the edge it left on those knives either. "It just felt lacking."

I bought a Shapton Pro 2k and love the feel and it leaves a great refined 2k edge on everything I put to it and is a better all around stone. It's hard, cuts fast with little dishing. I think it is probably one of the better 2ks on the market but I only have the green brick to compare it to. JMO. A lot of personal preference goes into picking stone just like knives.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:45 pm 

Surprised you don't like the GB more, Jeff.

I use mine a lot, I feel it's more of a 4k than a 2k but it has the cutting speed of a 2k. Not all that long ago I would have agreed that it is a good stone for softer stainless but in truth I feel it's much better with hard carbon steels. I also feel it is a much better stone with a little mud worked up first.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:21 pm 

It's like you told me before Jason, maybe I just didn't give it enough time to get used to it. Might have judged to quickly. I wouldn't tell someone not to get it, or it's a bad stone, I was just telling where I stand because he asked. And as we all know, so much of this is personal preference.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:53 pm 

I agree with that it works better with a bit of slurry. The stone does have a bit of a gritty feel to it, at least mine does, mud helps a bit with that plus helps with the polish.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:44 pm 

So the Green Brick and Shapton Pro remain in the running. Does anyone have any experience with the Bester 2000? I ask because the Bester 1200 is so often lauded as an excellent stone.

JeffB, do you move straight from your your 2K Shapton Pro to your Arashiyama 6K or is there another stone in between?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:05 pm 

The new 2k speckled nubatama. Matches the 1k speckled UME and much more affordable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:26 am 

I go straight to my 6k from my 2k with no trouble. I have a 4k if I want the edge more refined I do a few strokes there first, but i don't do it often.

I personally like the 2k Pro better for an all around 2k but as I've stated that is just me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:53 am 

Sadden, do you have a link to the 2K speckled Nubatama? All I can find is the Edgepro version of it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:35 am 

I would second jeff here. the shapton pro 2k is an excellent stone. I luv it for a quick touch up on my as and r2 knives, took me less than 5 minutes the other day to refresh the edges on my shiro and hiro 240s, they had been used for a week or more just stropping at work and in no time at all they were falling through tomatos again. I feel it is an indispensable tool for me itk especially.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next