It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Why do my stones crack and break?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:47 am 

I take care of my stones (chosera set). I let them air dry and then wrap them in some cloth towels. I do not bang my edge pro case on anything, yet the stones crack. The 3k stone cracked after the first use, and I saw that my 5k has cracked when I went to use it today, and while sharpening a piece of the stone just fell off.
Why is that happening?

Post subject: Re: Why do my stones crack and break?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:58 am 

They seem to become week after cutting them for the EP. There has been a lot of complaints about the choceras for the EP cracking.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:24 am 

I've had two of my Ep Shapton glass stones break as well, the 500 grit at the corner and the 8000 grit. I have been being very very careful how i pack them away using the bubble wrap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:33 am 

I had the same problem with Choseras for the EP. But I switched to Shapton glass and have NO problems. And i'm not even particularly careful with them. Also no problems with Nubatamas and I soak them pretty long before use. Sometimes I wonder if soaking or over soaking would cause problems. I would guess that would be the case if the Shapton glass stones were soaked, but someone more knowledgeable would have to address that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:34 am 

I think the aluminum plates shrink and swell a lot until the stone cracks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:11 am 
Forum Moderator

Magnesia stones are a bit more prone to cracking. So for instance the Nubatama 4k and 6k Ume stones are also magnesia based and [theoretically] more prone to cracking. For this reason, I usually recommend the 4k and 6k Bamboo stones. Having said that, I have yet to get a single instance of this cracking actually reported for these two stones. The attractiveness of Magnesia based stones is in their smooth feel and feedback so it is an individual trade.

I don't think the aluminum plates shrinking and expanding is the cause or even a cause or else you would see the problem occurring in all stones with equal frequency.

One could postulate other theories - that stones that absorb water crack more easily than more splash and go stones or that the thinner Choceras crack more easily than thicker Choceras, but the data is too inconsistent to draw conclusions here.

Of course direct sunlight exposure and rapid temp changes exacerbate the likelihood of cracking, but it doesn't sound like this is what is being discussed here as care has been taken to eliminate those variables.

It remains a bit of a mystery since most don't have this problem with these stones, so it's just idiosyncratic.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:59 pm 

It is the stones getting wet and drying. Then gluing them, this won't let the stone expand and contract. I wonder if a guy just left them in water all the time it wouldn't be better? Cutting the stones thick would help or not putting anything on the back and just let the E.P grab the stone. This would be the same way it holds on to the DMT plate I doubt very much aluminum shrinks or expands at the temperatures we are talking about. Since it's coefficient of linear expansion is fairly low. Not as low as glass, but that's why a lot of gun stock manufactures use aluminum bedding blocks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:16 pm 

Ive had my Choseras for a little over a year. No cracking or issues. I always let them soak for 10 minutes before I use them, squirt water on them after every 3-4 passes on the EP. I also flatten them before each use. Thats my routine, and its worked well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Temperature is one reason. Use room temp water.

Pressure is one reason. Use light pressure.

Storage is one reason. Store them in a stable environment.

Try switching to Shapton Glass stones for the edge pro. We almost never have issues with cracking with them. They're twice as thick which helps and they use ceramic abrasive that doesn't seem to crack.

I've tried dozens of different stones and these are the best on this machine. Splash and go, slow wearing and they cut a wide variety of steels nicely.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:21 pm 

already did mark, I wish I knew this beforehand, I would have gone for the shapton set, and not the chosera :(

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next