It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 10 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Goko Hammered Damascus 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rayong - I think the hammered finish looks just fine in person. Some knives have a more uniform hammered finish, like the Tetsuhiro Hammered - some have a more random look to them like the Goko Hammered Damascus.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:45 pm 

They are busy looking knives but the overall look is nice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:53 pm 

I'd like to add a comment and thought to this thread. I literally had $100 in my pocket waiting for the Kajihara petty to come in. (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tskabl210pe.html) It's "two weeks out" so I put my money on this Gyuto (Chestnut handle). It came in and I'm liking it so far. Its very light and it cuts well. I haven't put it on the stones yetand exect it to scream when I do. It's a solid $100 spent. So nothing new yet but...
I don't think it would compare at the $200 price point. The fit and finish are okay/good. The handle and ferrule aren't flush and sides aren't rounded all that well. I'm not a big fan of the ridged chestnut handle as it feels "plasticky". There's nothing that is bad, but it doesn't compare to my Richmond AS Laser (right around $200). I'm totally happy at the price point but wanted to add my thoughts as they pertain to it being a $200 knife. I guess the question I would ask myself is "If I had $200 for a gyuto what would I buy?" Hmm...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Great points Coach! At $200, it's a different ballgame.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:59 pm 

Was planning on getting a carbonext 240 gyuto from JCK when I saw the Goko. Couldn't pass up a hammered Damascus. Hoping the hammered finish will reduce food sticking too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:37 am 

coachnj wrote:I'd like to add a comment and thought to this thread. I literally had $100 in my pocket waiting for the Kajihara petty to come in. (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tskabl210pe.html) It's "two weeks out" so I put my money on this Gyuto (Chestnut handle). It came in and I'm liking it so far. Its very light and it cuts well. I haven't put it on the stones yetand exect it to scream when I do. It's a solid $100 spent. So nothing new yet but...
I don't think it would compare at the $200 price point. The fit and finish are okay/good. The handle and ferrule aren't flush and sides aren't rounded all that well. I'm not a big fan of the ridged chestnut handle as it feels "plasticky". There's nothing that is bad, but it doesn't compare to my Richmond AS Laser (right around $200). I'm totally happy at the price point but wanted to add my thoughts as they pertain to it being a $200 knife. I guess the question I would ask myself is "If I had $200 for a gyuto what would I buy?" Hmm...

I would agree with you when it comes to fit and finish. there's something left to be desired (great candidate for a rehandle!)

The knife does perform great but not in the 150+ class. For the money it does outperform just about anything in the $100 range.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:03 am 

rayong you can feel the hammer marks and if you look at the top of the spine you can see the hammer marks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:00 am 
Forum Moderator

I will have to look at my 210mm non hammered damascus and compare F&F (spine/choil) with the hammered one when I get home, but I remember the F&F on the blade finish itself looking better on the non hammered vs the hammered blade. They went with less expensive handles to keep the cost down.

I believe they take the hammered blades and grind the dimples off for the plain non hammered damascus blades; I could barely detect some of the hammer dimples near the top of the blade on the non hammered and they corresponded with the damascus pattern there, too (birds eye/raindrop kind of look). If they had ground the scratches out of the hammered blades, it would have been partially hammered only and looked strange.

For those who do not like the burnt chestnut (plastic feeling), you can use like 320-600 grit sandpaper on the handle; it won't remove the burnt marks fully, but it will give it some wood texture instead of the odd feeling burnt chestnut. Just put some tape over the plastic ferrule to keep it from getting scratched up when you do this and I prefer to use some sort of fairly firm backing to the sandpaper, like some cork, rubber, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ok, looked at both side by side. The 210mm Damascus is much nicer F&F wise; spine and choils are eased and cleaned up, the 240mm hammered spine and choil are much sharper/rougher. Blade finish is also a lot cleaner on the 210mm as well, and the final edge is much better on the 210mm Damascus. The 240mm hammered were seconds like Mark said and they wanted to keep the costs low vs putting a lot of extra $$ into them. The Damascus were done with the less expensive handle so they can keep the cost down.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:44 pm 

taz575 wrote:Ok, looked at both side by side. The 210mm Damascus is much nicer F&F wise; spine and choils are eased and cleaned up, the 240mm hammered spine and choil are much sharper/rougher. Blade finish is also a lot cleaner on the 210mm as well, and the final edge is much better on the 210mm Damascus. The 240mm hammered were seconds like Mark said and they wanted to keep the costs low vs putting a lot of extra $$ into them. The Damascus were done with the less expensive handle so they can keep the cost down.

NOTE: I HAVE THE HAMMERED damascus not regular damascus
I took a closer look at mine, the spine and choil are not the sharpest I've felt but they aren't rounded either.

After using it for a while and getting to know the knife better I would say these were almost training pieces. I know they were seconds but the workmanship is just not even close to other knives I own. This being said the grind is good and the steel is nice. So it cuts well.

Page 3 of 10 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next