It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:31 pm



Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!





 Page 3 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What is YOUR favorite steel to sharpen?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:14 am 
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 4:42 pm
Posts: 3806
Location: USA... mostly.
LUNA <> W#1... it's just too easy.

BBC <> The Black Steel KEN is referencing is a proprietary blend that is closely guarded, to the best of my knowlwdge. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nu24wacuha.html



_________________
Embracing the silence amid a life and land full of static...
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is YOUR favorite steel to sharpen?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:41 am 

Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:10 pm
Posts: 216
Thanks for the clarification Mel.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is YOUR favorite steel to sharpen?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:02 am 

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:00 am
Posts: 678
Melampus wrote:LUNA <> W#1... it's just too easy.

BBC <> The Black Steel KEN is referencing is a proprietary blend that is closely guarded, to the best of my knowlwdge. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nu24wacuha.html



But it gets so sharp so fast :D

I can tell you one thing... I certainly dislike sharpening VG-10 and crappy stainless.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is YOUR favorite steel to sharpen?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:17 pm 

Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:36 am
Posts: 117
It's a toss up between AEB-L and White 1 from my experience so far. I haven't done enough sharpening past those to really say. Cheap stainless I do a lot of as I sharpen friends knives for them and its a slow process getting them to transition to better knives.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is YOUR favorite steel to sharpen?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:20 am
Posts: 684
Lunatic wrote:
Melampus wrote:LUNA <> W#1... it's just too easy.

BBC <> The Black Steel KEN is referencing is a proprietary blend that is closely guarded, to the best of my knowlwdge. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nu24wacuha.html



But it gets so sharp so fast :D

I can tell you one thing... I certainly dislike sharpening VG-10 and crappy stainless.



Stainless isn't crappy at all. It has a lot of great uses, different to carbon.

Stainless is very wear resistant (unlike carbon), which means it holds the edge longer...even tho it is 'softer' than carbon.

Excellent utility uses.



_________________
http://nbthk-ab.org/index.htm
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is YOUR favorite steel to sharpen?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:37 am 

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:00 am
Posts: 678
desol wrote:
Lunatic wrote:
Melampus wrote:LUNA <> W#1... it's just too easy.

BBC <> The Black Steel KEN is referencing is a proprietary blend that is closely guarded, to the best of my knowlwdge. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nu24wacuha.html



But it gets so sharp so fast :D

I can tell you one thing... I certainly dislike sharpening VG-10 and crappy stainless.



Stainless isn't crappy at all. It has a lot of great uses, different to carbon.

Stainless is very wear resistant (unlike carbon), which means it holds the edge longer...even tho it is 'softer' than carbon.

Excellent utility uses.


You read that wrong. Crappy stainless is very annoying to sharpen. I'm talking about your 39.99 cusinart knife or the cutco BS.

Good stainless would be 19C27, AEBL, R2/SG2, VG-10 is good but burr formation is a PITA.

There is good SS and bad SS, there is good carbon steel and bad carbon steel.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is YOUR favorite steel to sharpen?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:42 am 

Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 6:20 am
Posts: 2094
"Stainless isn't crappy at all. It has a lot of great uses, different to carbon.

Stainless is very wear resistant (unlike carbon), which means it holds the edge longer...even tho it is 'softer' than carbon."

I think what was meant was crappy stainless vs quality stainless. Not crappy stainless as in "stainless is crappy".

Stainless steels tend to be wear resistant because chromium, which is added for stain resistance, is also a carbide former. But chromium is not the only way to skin that cat.

Luny beat me to it :)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is YOUR favorite steel to sharpen?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:44 am 

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:40 pm
Posts: 267
one of my favorites would be sk4? I believe could be 5 but the carbon in fujiwara knives is good ol cheap fun! takes a great edge nice and toothy even at a higher refinement and its cheap cheap cheap~ also love just about everything else, other than the aforementioned cheap ss, not that they don't sharpen but for all that work and then 20 mins of use and they just want to beat on a steal.. kinda sad really


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is YOUR favorite steel to sharpen?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:14 pm 

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:16 pm
Posts: 157
Stainless just doesn't seem to get that screaming sharp edge like carbon I guess you have to sacrifice that for it being stainless and I but honestly I would not trade that for stainless love how sharp most carbons get in comparison to stainless unless I just have no had a good stainless?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is YOUR favorite steel to sharpen?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 pm 
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:36 pm
Posts: 2874
White #1.....followed so closely it's really a tie by 52100......followed very closely by DT HT'd AEB-L



_________________
Adam

Image
http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


suspicion-preferred