It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 1k stone rec.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:47 pm 

Current kit: King Ice Bear 800, 1200, 4k, 6k, and Naniwa SS 8k.

Desired features: Hitachi carbons, VG10, AEB-L, Swedish steels, R2, etc; a plus if it plays nice with Kasumi; and, this is a biggie, MUST PLAY NICE WITH STRAIGHT RAZORS.

Goal: replace 800 and 1200 Kings with something that cuts faster.

I do not have experience with a lot of different stones, so I am kind of flying blind here. When honing my straight razor, the 800/1200 combo seems to take forever. I understand the mid range Kings are known for being slow. So this is specifically what I would like to address. The 4k King...I am not sure this does anything...so I don't want something like the 4k either. The 6k is my favorite stone, I like the feel, it seems to cut reasonably well (I can see swarf develop quickly), and it leaves a fairly nice edge. In fact, when I am not honing a razor or fixing a damaged blade, my normal routine is the 1200/6k. I do not like the Naniwa SS. I don't know if it is too soft, but there is just no feedback from it at all, and it seems a bit temperamental about how much mud it wants to cut well.

I am really open to just about anything. I am looking, long term, to rebuild my progression all together, partly to get better results, and partly to experiment with different stones. To that end I have looked at Shapton Pros (feel is important to me, I don't think the Glass will work); Arashiyama; and the litany of Nubatama stones. I am also open to the various named stones who's makers are unclear: Red Brick, Green Brick, etc.

So...any thoughts? Thanks everyone in advance for your feedback.

Post subject: Re: 1k stone rec.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:20 pm 

You will be hard pressed to find a stone that leaves a more even finish than the King 800. So I would keep the 800 reserved for Kasumi finishes.

The Red Brick is relatively fast and leaves a pretty even Kasumi finish, not as nice as the King 800.

I have not yet fallen in love with the Green Brick, however it is a good stone. I hear that it excels at softer stainless, but I dont have any of those haha. I am soon going to try it out thinning the Goko White, as it it clad in soft stainless.

My preferred stones are from elsewhere so I will refrain from comment. PM me if you would like to talk more.

While not having used it myself, the bester 1200 is a very economical, frequently recommended stone. I dont think you would be disappointed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:13 am 

Take a look at the Nubatama stones. I really like the 1K Ume I have. They are OOS but I think Ken has couple of others like it but harder. Here Ken's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYIuLZtdmqo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:11 am 
Forum Moderator

Pete, you beat me to it :)

Especially for razors, you want the hardest stone of the three. The 1k Nubatama speckled Ume stone comes in 3 hardnesses - the standard one Mark carries and the harder version and the extra hard version.

Here's the video describing it.

From your excellent detailed description of what you want, the consistency is that you don't care for softer stones like Kings and Naniwa Superstones.

Contact me by PM or email to ksskss@earthlink.net and I can give you a more detailed discussion of this stone's characteristics and why I feel the XX Hard 1k speckled Ume would be ideal and my first choice for your requirements.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:18 am 

Ken,

PM sent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

We sell quite a few chosera 1k to the straight razor crowd and I like it a lot for kitchen knives too. That might be a good option for you.

If you want to try something new and report on it I'm getting the nubatama speckled 2k in a few days and since you're a member of the 500 club I would be willing to sell it to you for half price so you can talk about it. It would be fun! I'll be grabbing one too and we can debate!!! hhahah

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:34 pm 

I have talked to several razor users that praise the Shapton Pro line. It is what got me interested in them. I love them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:28 pm 

MowgFace wrote:
My preferred stones are from elsewhere so I will refrain from comment. PM me if you would like to talk more.

Dont refrain, please, they play that sh!t on the other site...I think we a more mature than that.. everyone can have a different opinion, adding more to the pot only strengthens the opinions. I have no problem saying I really like Geshin stones, but I am open to others.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:16 pm 

Thanks Mawg and PJ

Ken, e-mail sent.

Mark, PM sent.

Jeff, the Shapton Pros are very much in my sights. I am leaning away from them for the 1k, but I know I am going to need to give them a try somewhere in my progression...curiosity has got the best of me. In fact, have you used the coarse stones or the fine stones? Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:24 pm 

You guys and your Shapton Pro stones. Every time I read to many posts about them I go back to mine and work with them for awhile to try and like them. Doesn't work. Maybe one of these days I'll learn to like them but it hasn't happened yet.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next