It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Pressure on your sharpening stroke?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:40 pm 

Exactly. However, there is no need for any edge~trailing stokes.
Whatsoever. Grind must be compensated for, at some point.

Desol thanks for this but I am still missing something, not doubting you but I'm missing a piece. How does an edge trailing stroke differ from a leading stroke in terms of metal removal if the same light pressure is used?

I will just have to experiment more, I'll re-attack this post in a month after a hundred knives or so.

Dan I think that Bob Kramer may have said that, I recall him demonstrating pressure with a kitchen scale in a video.

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:49 pm 

Dan_Crubenew wrote:I don't know why this just came to me, but I recall someone, somewhere stating their belief that 4 pounds was the ideal pressure to sharpen with, I don't know if that is the case, I certainly don't pay enough attention to it and I can sharpen fine. Perhaps I will try next time.

I like that JeffB said there is no one way to sharpen, that is obviously true. On the forum here there is a diversity of sharpening technique but only one sharpening result; a sharp knife. So, I would say try out different things, go with what does work for you.

I'm a full believer in whatever works for you, 100%. :)

Knives are pretty forgiving, and allow for more subjectivity.

To answer the question, it depends on how much metal you want to remove...and how refined you want the edge to be.
In razor honing, different pressures are used, with different grades of slurry, at different parts of the honing process.

Sailor wrote:Desol thanks for this but I am still missing something, not doubting you but I'm missing a piece. How does an edge trailing stroke differ from a leading stroke in terms of metal removal if the same light pressure is used?

Because edge-trailing strokes require finding a burr...which usually means, you spend more time fooling around with the burr grinding metal away.
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:10 pm 

Ok got that now thanks :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:43 pm 

Yeah I remember Bob Kramer saying and using a scale to gauge 4 lbs. tried it and find 4 lbs way too heavy.

I always thought it was pressure on edge leading strokes but do use edge trailing towards the end when chasing the burr. I find a fine ceramic honing rod used at the end helps rub out the burr nicely before stropping. Also find cutting across a scrunched up ball of newspaper useful in removing the bur.

Will try pressure on edge trailing next sharpening.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:57 pm 

rayong it is worth giving it a try and then you can decide which way is most comfortable for you. I think it would be pretty boring if we all used the exact same techniques and equipment. I know that everyone on this forum can produce a great edge, I also know that most of us achieve that by using a variety of methods and assortments of application of pressure, angles, finger placement on the blade and brands of water stones. Yet if we all laid our finished knives down, would we see much of a difference?

There is definitely one benefit to using edge trailing, you won't dig the knife into your stone which I have done a few times.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:56 pm 

When I sharpen, the strokes are so light (w/thick slurry) that that kind of thing simply doesn't happen. Also, it's important to make sure the stone's flat...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:06 pm 

Most of knives I sharpen have not been touched for 2-20 years and that happens about 750-800 times a year, I need to to add a little more pressure than "so light" and I make mistakes at times. I hear you on the flat stones, I'm obsessed with keeping them flat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:01 pm 

Definitely, if you need to remove a lot of metal...I'd probably use a power wheel or something to make my life easier. :)

Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3