It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Masamoto KS 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:39 am 

So I'm going to just cut and paste here from combination of this forum and another forum cause I was hijacking the pass around thread lol...

So, I'm liking this knife a lot. It's not as sharp as I thought it would and has some dead spots in the blades, but you can tell with just a little time on the stones and/or a proper stropping(one of which I'm not so sure I'm ready to do, the other I have yet to make or buy a setup) it will be a straight up beast.

The balance is pretty nice. It's a little blade forward and the neck is pretty long to the handle. Speaking of the handle, as expected it's underwhelming but comfortable and functional.

When you hit the sweet spot, which is most of the blade, it just glides through food. Falls through potatoes and it can slice tomatoes translucent, but it has some wedging issues with stuff like yellow squash and zucchini. Destroys onions, although OOTB I cannot rip through the horizontal cross cut when dicing, I have to go slow and saw to feel safe.

I'll tell you what... this is more then an adequate rock chopper. It's not a great rock chopper, but it is absolutely a legitimately good rock chopper, I am not sure why I read a number of people saying it was awful, let alone meh?

Tip work is pretty sick.

This is definitely longer then 240mm as well. Like a lot longer. I haven't taken a tape to it, but I have put it on top of my Richmond Artifex Wa-Gyuto tip to tip, which I measured at a legit 243mm from tip to heel a couple months ago and it is noticeably and substantially longer. It's not unwieldy, but I am getting used to it.

It's not as toothy as I had figured/hoped just from feeling for the burr/grind on the edge with my thumb, but it can push cut through paper towel decently and again, passes the tomato tests with flying colors.

I have had some issues with dicing stuff and winding up with accordion cuts because I am not used to the profile yet and don't wind up making blade flat contact at the heel when chopping fast.

I've done a decent amount of home prep so far and haven't had any issues with chipping even with a few wrenching motions when tying a few on when making soup haha.

Let's talk about patina a little...

When I got this, I thought it was insanely reactive, but apparently it wasn't fully. I'm going to cut and paste some stuff I posted on another forum:

Let me tell you this much, man is this thing reactive!

I diced up a tomato, half an English cucumber, half a shallot and ribboned a romaine heart to make a salad cause I had to give it a spin and immediately after cutting the shallot it had patina going.

Can't wait til it's all funky and crazy like some motor oil spilled in a puddle.

Am I just crazy here, or am I stupid?

Probably a combination of the above. biggrin.gif

I thought I had the start of a crazy patina going, took the knife out, it's there. There's a touch of blue and mainly orange and yellow, it's concentrated where I mainly cut the shallots.

Full disclosure, I am heavily color blind with shades. I fully see colors, but often they are not the same colors or shades that others see. Therefore it's often difficult for me to say for sure which color something is, or what colors really look like to those with normal eyes.

Two examples:

Had a favorite shirt back in the day. Button down Perry Ellis. Wore it like once a week for a few months. One night at a bar I'm talking to this girl and like 15 minutes in she's like, I really like your shirt. It's an awesome shade of green... Me... What? I thought it was grey the whole time lol.

Second:

On the way into work lately we're passing this Ford dealership. There's a Focus special edition out there, or whatever model the Focus is now and for weeks I think it's orange juice orange. Well, it's supposedly banana yellow. I still think my coworkers are phucking with me haha!

And this ponders the question... What is orange juice orange, banana yellow, pale green or grey even look like?!

Anywho... now I've gone on a weird tangent and so I digress lol.

Seriously, now looking back at that, I'm not sure if any of this info was necessary haha.

Anyway, this patina is there... so I start prepping a huge bunch of veggies for vegetable soup. I wind up in the onions and then slice some lemons into wedges and let the juice sit there purposely.... I wipe and poof! Original patina is gone. Gone! GONE! Go-OnnE! Like there is this little wave of awesome light blue and orange-ish-ness running down the blade in a horizontal pattern, totally different from the original and it's so faint it's almost not there.

That is what remains now.

The blotching murder scene patina is gone, the blade looks nearly stainless clad with this faint horizontal wavy rainbow running most of the length that you can only see at certain angles in the light.

Am I so silly I didn't clean it right? And that there was veggie funk on the blade before? And never a real patina?

Update:

Just left orange juice from a sliced orange on the blade for like 5 or 6 minutes to see how it reacted. It was mainly clear, but there was a darkish brown/yellow blotch on it about the size of a pencil eraser, wiped the juice clean with a strong hand and the colored mark is gone pretty much entirely.

This is my first experience with carbon blades BTW.

I separated them with the italics and bold for each post.

The new update is I just prepped some guacamole, an avocado mango salsa, onions, garlic and herbs for a basmatti rice and ingredients for marinated chicken, plus veggies for steamed vegetables and it is again starting to take on an awesome patina.

Overall I'm really digging this. I'm not sure If i paid well over $300 for it if I would have liked it as much, but getting it second hand this is just an awesome segue into the premium steels for me.

I'd highly recommend this to anyone looking to do the same who is reasonably comfortable with sharpening themselves and either won't get too hung up on the crazy plain and boring handle or plans to get it rehandled. It's a really righteous knife.

Thanks again Mano.

This is missing all the italics, bolds, underlines, emoticons, etc. cause this and Cheftalk forums won't cooperate, but hey haha...

Post subject: Re: Masamoto KS 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:13 am 

A little bit of a difficult read but I got through it.

I personally love the look of the KS, super aggressive look.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:29 am 

Thanks for putting this all in one place. The KS is a classic, sounds like for good reason. I've been eyeing the Moritaka or Ikeda version of this profile, but getting one of these second-hand would be price-competitive with the others . . . hmmmm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:39 pm 

Thanks for letting us know about it. I bought the Ikeda one that popped up last week and it's a fantastic profile indeed. Mine, too, is highly reactive. I was prepping pineapple and onions last night and instant patina. I wish either of these knives came in 210mm.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:53 pm 

I have the Masamoto KS and it is a great knife, one of my favorites!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:47 pm 

Sorry I know that's some serious tl;dr and really jumbled.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:15 pm 

In another forum it appeared the blade had never been properly sharpened, this to put this "review" somewhat into perspective. And I found the OP a little confused in his report.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:16 am 
Forum Moderator

OP already stated that it was a cut and paste from other forums of his impression of the knife and that it was not up to it's full potential in use yet due to not being completely fully sharpened. The OP already put the review in perspective for us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:09 am 

I have a 240 KS and am looking forward to putting it back in rotation. A really great, classic knife IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:34 am 

So I wanted to comeback to this knife and review now having owned it for about half a year and becoming comfortable enough with sharpening to where I've taken it to the stones a number of times for full sharpening's and just touch ups.

It is incredible once really sharpened.

To start, I have grown to love this profile more then any other gyuto I've ever had my hands on. It's just a joy to use in any facet or style of cutting you'd use a gyuto. The length is deceiving, in the sense it actually feels much shorter in a good way yet still has some serious presence.

The handle is still a weak point to me on a knife this price. It's not bad, but can use some serious oiling and really probably needs to be sanded a touch. I oil it often, but have been too lazy and forgetful to sand it yet haha.

The blade is still quite reactive, but it's really started to take on a sweet patina. I'll post pictures when I get a chance sometime tomorrow. It has an awesome mix of blues and grays and some orange-ish yellow and reds, although as said above I have serious issues with colorblindness in separating shades. I have had a little problem with a tiny spot that seems to be pitting some, although I baking soda scrubbed the hell out of that spot and it responded some, it's not something I'm currently too concerned with, but I do know I eventually need to address it more properly.

Still love the balance on this knife, but I think it would be a touch better if rehandled.

Once it was sharpened though, it just flies through horizontal cuts to set up an onion dice. It falls through most any foods and is so super sharp to do any shallow peeling. Awesome to use for basically anything prep wise though. Bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, greens, herbs, garlic, shallots, mushrooms, zucchini, pineapple, any fruits really, cabbage, bok choy, beets, kohlrabi, squash, slicing proteins like steak, chicken and pork, it's just on point for most anything.

I don't have experience with that many knives, but if I was asked for the one knife I would choose if I could only have one period, this would be it.

I'm actually very tempted to try one of the cheaper KS clones available on this site, certainly I will eventually haha.

Again, I'd still highly recommend this knife.

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next