It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Cutting board wood
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:56 pm 

Hi All,

Planning on buying a board from the boardsmith. Was planning on the 18x24 maple but read that cherry wood is softer and therefore easier on high end japanese knives. Does anyone know if there is actually a difference large enough that makes spending the extra $55 on the cherry worth it? Scientifically the cherry wood is softer, no argument there, but would I be in danger of ruining my knives with a maple board? They are both end grain.

Post subject: Re: Cutting board wood
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:02 pm 

No, I know a lot of people who use end grain maple boards with great success. You mainly want to stay away from Poly boards and bamboo which are both pretty hard.

I've never used a cherry so I can't speak to that but end-grain maple does a fine job.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:18 pm 

End-grain maple is the traditional material and many people have been using it with j-knives with great satisfaction. The only reason I'd go for anything else is purely for the looks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:38 pm 

I have an 18x24 maple board by The BoardSmith and your knives better be bigger and sharper than mine if you come after it!

My board: new-cutting-board-t3665.html

Last edited by Jeff B on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:49 pm 

I have a 12x18 from The BoardSmith and I like it a lot: easy on edges and looks great. He does great work. You should not be in danger of ruining your knives with a maple board.

I am tempted to say the difference between cherry and maple, in actual usage, would be pretty small. Is it worth those $55 to you? I couldn't say.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:54 pm 

JeffB that is the exact board I'm buying. Well not exactly;) funny enough my next purchase is a konosuke hd2. Glad to see how awesome it looks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:58 pm 

It is my understanding that there are woods that you would not want to use, but I think the Cherry/Maple difference is not significant enough to really fret over.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:58 pm 

It's a great board, you'll love it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:38 pm 

Not much difference with maple, cherry, walnut, mahogany compared to steel. Choose based on aesthetics and budget. Though I have heard maple doesn't show cuts as much.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:49 am 

Fine with either maple or cherry. Fact is it end grain is more important. Stay away from plastic and bamboo.

Like boardsmith boards a lot. Boos as well, but not a fan of their price points. Just picked up an off brand 18" round maple end grain, nearly 4" thick. It is a beast!

I am sure you know, but oil liberally the first week you get it, then periodically/regularly. End grain boards are prone to opening at the glue joints, especially when thickness runs thin. Don't expect it to be a problem with 2" thick stock, but seen it happen with a few 1" boards. Better be safe than sorry. Plus an oiled board just looks sexier!

Page 1 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next