It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Missed it by THAT much!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:14 pm 

Aaaargh!

While I was filling in the order information for it and a few other smaller items, the very last Takamura Migaki gyuto 210 mm -- http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura.html -- got snapped up. It was showing in stock when I started filling in my shipping info, then gone five minutes later. I'm deeply bummed.

So, two questions to Mark -- are there more on the way? WIll they still be $175 when they are back in stock?

Post subject: Re: Missed it by THAT much!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:44 pm 

I know how you feel. When you have that itch and you have been saving and you finally decide to pull the trigger and the target has all but dissipated. I don't mean to rub it in but I just got my hands on one of the Goko damascus gyutos as they just came back in stock today and I have been waiting for a long time for them to come back.

I suggest you wait as I have been in the same situation and blown my money on another knife that was not right for me to to scratch that itch, but I have also found great knives this way. Let me tell you that all the time you wait will be rough but when you finally do get that blade you are longing for, it will be that much more special.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:53 pm 

One of the good things about this site is that it seems there's *always* a killer deal, so just wait until the next knife to tickle your fancy comes along.

Or so I keep telling myself. :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:06 pm 

Gotta be quick on the draw around here! No sitting around debating! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:16 pm 

Sorry to rub it in, but you really dropped the ball on this one. I love this knife, and if you took it away from me I would cry. I use it almost everyday and everyday at work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:52 am 

"Sorry to rub it in, but you really dropped the ball on this one. I love this knife, and if you took it away from me I would cry. I use it almost everyday and everyday at work."

Bedside manner like that...I think you missed you calling doctor. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:47 am 

I'll be picking it up the second it comes back into stock :(
Taxes come in tomorrow too

I'm going to find a corner to cry in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:09 pm 

They appear to be in stock now . . .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:48 pm 

Yay! I just ordered one, along with a 3x 11 strop kit (Richmond base, balsa strop, horse butt strop). Goko 240 Damascus is already en route, Richmond AS Laser 210 with maple handle has arrived and diced its first onion. Talk about thin behind the edge! I don't see how the Goko or the Takamura can possibly be any thinner behind the edge than the Richmond. The bevel looks like a micro-bevel... barely discernible to the naked eye.

I have to say I'm a little surprised how sharp the Laser is. Not on it's cutting edge of course, but everywhere else. The edges on the octagonal handle are pretty crisp and not really comfortable in the hand, and there is zero rounding of choil or spine. With the superb rounding of choil and spine and handle on my $90 Artifex 240 AEBL gyuto with Micarta Western handle it was disappointing not to see the same level of finish on one of the premiere Richmond knives. I don't think a line cook preparing bushels of veggies per shift could comfortably work with this knife without first spending some time with a Dremel and sandpaper to round out those contact points.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:26 am 

Mark H. wrote:Yay! I just ordered one, along with a 3x 11 strop kit (Richmond base, balsa strop, horse butt strop). Goko 240 Damascus is already en route, Richmond AS Laser 210 with maple handle has arrived and diced its first onion. Talk about thin behind the edge! I don't see how the Goko or the Takamura can possibly be any thinner behind the edge than the Richmond. The bevel looks like a micro-bevel... barely discernible to the naked eye.

I have to say I'm a little surprised how sharp the Laser is. Not on it's cutting edge of course, but everywhere else. The edges on the octagonal handle are pretty crisp and not really comfortable in the hand, and there is zero rounding of choil or spine. With the superb rounding of choil and spine and handle on my $90 Artifex 240 AEBL gyuto with Micarta Western handle it was disappointing not to see the same level of finish on one of the premiere Richmond knives. I don't think a line cook preparing bushels of veggies per shift could comfortably work with this knife without first spending some time with a Dremel and sandpaper to round out those contact points.

You have made the right choice friend. The takamura is just about as thin behind the edge as my kohetsu but the steel has much better edge retention. This being said the kohetsu can take a steeper edge easier from my experience and enjoys natural stones. I love both but find I go to the takamura more often

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next