It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:14 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 21 [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Show us your knives!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:56 am 

Not a great pic of the knife but here we go. Maybe I'll take another one, with the whole "family." :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:00 pm 

I will try to get some detailed pics of each one later, and there are a few absent, but here is pretty much all the fun stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:08 pm 

Very nice collection your building there Cedar!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:20 pm 

Thanks! I was just lusting after some of your collection :)

In your pic, what is the Gyuto next to the Fernandez?

And is the Hass knife you got similar to the production knives Mark just got in stock? http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rahagy24ae.html.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:14 pm 

It's a Masamoto KS. My Hass is probably very similar to the production knives Mark is selling. Randy did a numbered production run with certificates of authentication a while back and I bought one. You can't see it in the picture but it has #74 of 100 printed on the blade by his emblem. It shows a little in this picture in a different thread. my-newest-toy-t4895.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:49 pm 

Nice looking bunch of knives Cedarhouse! The backlighting really highlights them. I like the looks of your Ikeda, I have one on order and when I get it I will post a review comparing it to my Masamoto KS . BB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:17 am 

"I like the looks of your Ikeda, I have one on order and when I get it I will post a review comparing it to my Masamoto KS."

I am really looking forward to that review.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:21 am 

Not to be a boor, but why so many gyutos?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:46 am 

You asking me?...

Ode to a knife addiction:

Well, not pictured is my first, a Mac Superior Santoku. Its on a different magnetic knife rack :D

But everyone on the forum said "santokus are crap...you need a gyuto" and "real men use 240mm gyutos". So I bought the Tojiro DP, because everyone said the Tojiro DP, Fujiwara FKM, and Richmond Artifex are best for beginners.

And then I bought Fujiwara FKH because in the product video Mark said it was a great first carbon knife and Tojiro DP, Fujiwara FKM, and Richmond Artifex are best for beginners.

Somewhere in there I decided, if santokus are crap because they are a compromise between a nakiri and a gyuto, then I should get a nakiri and see if they are crap too. The Tanaka Kurouchi nakiri was well thought of as an entry level nakiri, it is not crap. I just recommended it in a different thread.

And then I bought the Artifex because....I have no idea...the Tojiro DP, Fujiwara FKM, and Richmond Artifex are best for beginners.

I bought the Tojiro ITK bread knife, cause everyone said everyone needs a bread knife.

Then I thought, I like chicken...so I bought an Artifex honesuki because it was one of the cheapest honesukis.

And then I thought I like midnight snacks, so I bought a Tojiro Shirogami petty. You know portion control.

And then I thought I'm not a beginner, what does a savvy knife owner use...and Mark introduced the Kohetsu...and even before unboxing it, the Anryu Hammered went on sale as a video demo, so it is mine too.

And when I bought the Kohetsu, my final list was the Anryu, Kohetsu, Goko Wt#1, and Masakage Yuki, so when a Goko Wt#1 hit the video demo discount rack...well it became mine too. You elude me for now Yuki...for now.

Then Mark, who can be a bit of an ass, offered the Goko damascus for practically free, and I had already missed two utility bills...so what the hell...

So here I am...I have a few gyutos. I am still in the testing phase, but I have a few conclusions:
1) Santokus are crap.
2) Nakiris are fun, but not exceptionally versatile.
3) Pettys are nice for somethings.
4) Not everyone needs a bread knife...but they are nice for somethings.
5) The best gyutos for beginners are the Tojiro DP, Fujiwara FKM, and the Richmond Artifex, unless the Goko Damascus or Hammered Damascus are available for $99, but even then, the noob needs to be warned about thin knives.
6) Real men can use any length they like as long as they use it right and have the space to wield it.
7) Gyutos are versatile, fun to use, available in a variety of finishes, steels, and shapes, require extensive testing to find the right one, and may result in psychological dependence.

Hope this addresses you query. FWIW, last night I built an excel spread sheet listing the knives I am on the lookout for, the first seven entries are as follows (not necessarily in order): either the Konosuke Wt #2 or Sakai Yusuke; Shiro Kamo; Masakage Yuki; Tanaka Sekiso; and either the Richmond Addict SLD or Richmond Ultimatum HD; all gyutos :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:14 am 

Hassouni wrote:Not to be a boor, but why so many gyutos?

If you have to ask you wouldn't understand. :mrgreen:

Page 2 of 21 [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next