It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:06 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: What is YOUR favorite steel to sharpen?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:09 am 

Title says it all, what's your favorite steel to sharpen and why.

Me personally I love the R2 from takamura, I can't get over how keen of an edge it takes and how much feedback it gives.

Next to that I'd have to say W#1 it's just fast and fun to sharpen.

Post subject: Re: What is YOUR favorite steel to sharpen?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:08 am 
Forum Moderator

I love to cuss & swear....so I loove the hard ones.....M390, K390, S90V etc.....

Good challenge.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:33 pm 

I'll be the hipster and say Carbon V, because you can't buy it new anymore.

Anything carbon, really, then the low-alloy stuff. Pretty straightforward; the less junk they put in it the easier it sharpens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:27 pm 

52100 is pretty fabulous. How long do your edges last on the Takamura? The 210 for sale right now looks mighty tempting...if only it were in 240 size.

How long have you been using the Takamura? How does she handle carrots? I do think the 210 would serve a great purpose in my tight little prep area. But the thin edge seems scary delicate. Have you abused it much?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:44 pm 

My favorite steel period, sharpen and use is W2. Least favorite is CPM 154.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:09 pm 

Hard to say...probably Blue #2. Most likely a function of the maker since I only have one or two examples of any one steel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm 

Umberto wrote:52100 is pretty fabulous. How long do your edges last on the Takamura? The 210 for sale right now looks mighty tempting...if only it were in 240 size.

How long have you been using the Takamura? How does she handle carrots? I do think the 210 would serve a great purpose in my tight little prep area. But the thin edge seems scary delicate. Have you abused it much?

The takamura is a beast. It handles carrots well, If you're doing just a basic julienne or brunoise it's a beauty. If you are doing a lot of carrots I might pick up a weightier knife. If I'm doing 10+ lbs of carrots I will most likely switch to my naikri just for the chopping power, this being said for any veggie prep at all I wouldn't dare let go of the takamura.

The edge is thin, however the steel is strong and robust. It doesn't roll even after two cases of bell peppers and a 50 lbs bag of onions. If the edge does roll simply strop it and good as new. You don't want to tackle bones or frozen food with this but anything else is game, set, match.

I purchased this knife for full price, I don't even care. It's that damn good. If someone took this knife away from me I think I would cry.

I could go on for about half an hour of why I love this knife so much.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:26 pm 

MadRookie wrote:I love to cuss & swear....so I loove the hard ones.....M390, K390, S90V etc.....
Good challenge.
:)

I like your attitude Rook! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:13 am 

Lunatic wrote:The edge is thin, however the steel is strong and robust. It doesn't roll even after two cases of bell peppers and a 50 lbs bag of onions. If the edge does roll simply strop it and good as new.

I have no experience with these advanced stainless steels, so, by simple curiosity, is it actually rolling that may occur?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:30 am 

I have always liked the SK Carbon in my Kikuichi petty. But White steel is cool too. I guess I don't have a favorite. I just like sharping my own knives in general.

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next