It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Knife Sharpening Instructional Videos for Newbies
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:26 pm 

Just got my fedex stone and knives shipment. Can't wait to get home and start chopping. I will be using the whetstone on my dull knives.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:11 pm 

I totally agree with Lunatic
Don't waste your time and your good stones on junk beater knives from China, or anything stainless steel under 60 Rockwell
I either use a paper wheel setup consisting of a cardboard wheel with grit, and another with stropping polish, attach them to a $50 Harbor Freight buffer, and I can get those blades sharp.
Option 2 I also use a belt sander 30 inch. I have belts from 120 all the way up to 1000 grit. Finish on a diamond microfinishing belt.
I doubt any cheap knife will take anything better than a 1000 grit edge.
Some of the better German knives, and good quality American carbon steel knives will take maybe up to a 2000 grit edge, so you could also finish by stropping on 1K and 2K stones.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:16 pm 

Best thing to do is to get started and have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:01 pm 

I recently got a 1k stone for $30 and MIU knife for $10. Both are junkers meant just for practice and technique. Given that the euro construction and blade geometry of the MIU is very different from a japanese knife, any suggestions for specific techniques to try that will translate?

Ideally down the road i would like to get a decent gyuto to use at home to replace my way too short 6" wusthof chef knife. Before I take that plunge I would like to develop some sharpening technique.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Have patience. The cheap steel in some knives can be wear resistant and pretty hard to sharpen - is that the case with your MIU? Hard to tell. 1K stones can also have very different characteristics, some cut quickly, some slowly, etc.

Learn to hold a consistent angle, that's usually most important to getting sharp edges. Use sharpie to see your progress on the edge. Take you time and check your work often. Don't use too much pressure, let the stone do the work (if it can).

If you can find a cheap Santoku or borrow one from a friend/relative they have a pretty flat profile that's easier to learn on than a knife with a lot of belly. You'll almost certainly get it sharper than it came to you and they'll be happy with the improvement.

Watch the videos.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:55 pm 

Sure, my wife had a terrible calaphon santuko when we started dating that has survived a few moves. Can try on that as well. The MIU I haven't tried sharpening yet, but I don't think it has much 'belly' (if I understand that term correctly)

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/miu/nsf-c ... fe-p120851

the cutting edge doesn't have much curve on it (at least from my own experience with knives)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:09 pm 

They helped a lot but they didn't prevent me from gouging the hell out of the Nubatama 5k Bamboo..Woops quite a few slips.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:11 am 

Thanks for making those Mark. I have watched them all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:54 pm 

i watched all of these when i first started - very helpful
thanks mark

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:49 pm 

is there such a thing as over soaking a whetstone? how does one clean it after use?

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next