It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Jnat recommendation for knife finisher
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:02 am 

A little more info...just doing the first 'legs' of research here. I recently bought a finisher for my razors and I'm enjoying the hell out of it! :) I'd like to eventually incorporate a natural stone or 2 into my knife sharpening as well. So any recommendations?

Chris

Post subject: Re: Jnat recommendation for knife finisher
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:10 am 

Natural stones vary in cost by a huge amount. Give us a budget range first.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:48 am 

Well what are you using as your main progression.

Theres a huge range of Jnats that cover a hige range of finishes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:18 am 

Right now I use Chosera 1k, Green brick (or blue aoto), then a few edge trailing strokes on 8k, then strop on bare horse butt leather. This is when I actually need to sharpen. I've been lucky so far in that the few knives I have retain their edges pretty well (plus I am a home cook) so I can get away with just the stropping on leather most of the time :) I have a latte 400 as well but haven't really need to go down that low in grit, yet.

I just found Tim's review of meara and yaginoshima stones. They both sound like good choices. All of my knives are double bevel and all are carbon steel (Tanaka sekiso, Takeda AS, Carter funayuki, Tojiro petty, Teruyasu-Fujiwara, an OLD Russel Green river and a new (to me) Forgecraft cleaver that I haven't sharpened yet)

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:45 am 
Forum Moderator

Stop on by :) I have LOTS of J Nats in the 1K plus range :)

Aoto 1-3K, San Aoto 3-5K (san = narrow), Meara 4-6K (similar to the hard Aoto), Hakka Level 2, Hakka Level 3, Narutaki level 3, Narutaki Level 4, Takashima (2 different ones), Hideriyama, Yaginoshima Asagi, San Shobu and Ozuka Asagi.

Remember, each stone reacts differently to different steels. The San Aoto puts a WICKED edge on the Takeda AS once it's stropped on bare leather, but not as fine of an edge on the Tanaka Sekiso or Fujiyama Blue #2. Nagura's and slurry stones also change things, too. I have 3 different nagura stones and a small DMT 1200 grit slurry stone; the DMT is by far my favorite :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:05 am 

taz575 wrote:Stop on by :) I have LOTS of J Nats in the 1K plus range :)

Aoto 1-3K, San Aoto 3-5K (san = narrow), Meara 4-6K (similar to the hard Aoto), Hakka Level 2, Hakka Level 3, Narutaki level 3, Narutaki Level 4, Takashima (2 different ones), Hideriyama, Yaginoshima Asagi, San Shobu and Ozuka Asagi.

Remember, each stone reacts differently to different steels. The San Aoto puts a WICKED edge on the Takeda AS once it's stropped on bare leather, but not as fine of an edge on the Tanaka Sekiso or Fujiyama Blue #2. Nagura's and slurry stones also change things, too. I have 3 different nagura stones and a small DMT 1200 grit slurry stone; the DMT is by far my favorite :)

I was gonna say.... I've noticed my J-nat puts a nice edge on R-2 and AS but not 19C27.

A CCK cleaver I sharpened didn't like the J-nat at all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:31 am 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, 19C27 is a swedish stainless steel; some stones do better on carbons or very fine grain stainless (AEB-L, Ginsan), other work better with coarser stainless steels. Some stones work well on a larger variety of steels. In some stainless steels, the carbides are rather large, so going to a super fine finish on them isn't going to help things much!

Softer steels the J Nats don't seem to work as well on, like german style knives. 1-2K tops for that stuff usually.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:42 am 

I'll have to take you up on that Tim! I was going to contact you about rehandling the Forgecraft cleaver I just got. We should set something up :) I have an Ozuku san and a blue aoto and asano botan/tenjo/mejiro naguras. I was thinking the ozuku would be too hard (5+) for knives...

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:50 am 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I rarely use mine. Most of my nats are between level 3 and 4 hardness wise and 8-10K or so grit wise.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:01 pm 

Tim do you not find 19c27 to be a fine grained stainless? I've taken my 19c27 to a couple different natural finishes and have loved the resulting edge. Also on an aebl, a Ginsan, a semi stainless TKC, and a blue 1. Ive found all of these to take pretty well to the natural finishers I have at least, and the 19c27 took to it similarly to the rest.

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next